First Trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some advice on where to stay (hotel or lodge) in the Black Hills area. We (husband & I) want to stay in a centrally located area to the attractions. Right now, we are planning on visiting Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park and riding the 1880 Train.

Since this is our first trip to South Dakota, I'm looking for recommendations on places to go and things to see while in the Black Hills - Badlands area. We will be there the very end of August/beginning of September for 5 days and would like to spend time seeing scenery, wildlife and doing some light hiking. We want to avoid the tourist attractions that charge a big fee, but deliver little entertainment or value for the fee. Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM

I always recommend staying in Custer State Park:

www.custerresorts.com

However, you may have a hard time getting a reservation this late.

I also really like Cedar Pass Lodge in the Badlands. The cabins are nothing fancy but the sense of serenity there is incredible.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. You are right....Custer State Park appears to be completely booked for the dates we are going to be in the area. I will check out Cedar Pass Lodge.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hi pafranke, I work at the Golden Hills Resort in Lead. Cedar Pass lodge will be great for your visit to the Badlands, but it won't work as a central locations to see the Black Hills. It's just to far away. I recommend that you stay one night at the Badlands and split the rest of your stay between the Central Black Hills (Custer, Hills City)to see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc. and the Northern Black Hills (Deadwood, Lead) to see Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, etc. For hiking there are lots of options, but I might suggest that you rent a bicycle at Presidents Park and ride the Michelson Trail (very cool). Good Luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM

I agree completely, BHG! As I said earlier, I love Cedar Pass Lodge. But I don't recommend it as a base for the Black Hills. Nor do I recommend trying to see the Badlands from a base in the Black Hills. As you said, too far! And I should have been clearer about that in my first post.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

I spent my summers as a kid in the Black Hills visiting relatives in Custer. Since we stayed with them, I don't know about accomodations there, but I can say it's a good base for visiting Mt. Rushmore and, of course, Custer State Park.
I don't know what "light" hiking means to you, but I always recommend the hike from Sylvan Lake to the top of Harney Peak. It's a 6 mile RT hike and while described as "moderate", it wasn't too hard for my 80-year-old grandmother (who did it with us when we were kids) or my 7-year-old child (who did it with me when I returned as an adult).
On my last visit a few years ago, we enjoyed the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. I would say you certainly get "value for money" here.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

Hi, I'm happy to hear that you are planning a trip to South Dakota! The following website has great information on places to see, things to do and lodgings in the Black Hills http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com. I hope you have an great trip and enjoy your time in our state!

Kayleen
SD Office of Tourism
www.travelsd.com
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
cd

I would keep trying for cancellations in Custer State Park: http://www.custerresorts.com/ Make reservations elsewhere but keep trying here, they often have cancellations.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate the help as I plan our vacation. Having not been there before, it's hard to judge distances between locations, so your comments are very helpful. Kayleen, the website you provided is great!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I'm sure the South Dakota Tourism people will hate me, but we flew to Montana a couple of years ago, in late May, primarily to spend a few days in and around Yellowstone, which was wonderful, and the Tetons.

However, we also drove all the way to South Dakota to see Mt.Rushmore. We stayed in Keystone, as I recall. We ended up spending all of half an hour at Mt. Rushmore! It was a lovely day, and I took pictures of the faces, of course, but we agreed: they were great, and they looked just like the pictures we had seen! Then we left!

Crazy Horse was just a big mountain with a hole blasted through it, at that point, so that wasn't much to see, either, in our opinion.

Sorry, but we felt they were not worth a special trip!

Yellowstone Park was worth several days, definitely.

To each his or her own, obviously.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Retired, if all you saw was Mt.Rushmore and Crazy Horse, I can see why you felt that way! But you missed all the good stuff! As you said, to each his own. But Custer State Park and the surrounding area is one of my favorite places in the whole country.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
cd

I agree with CAPH. Mt Rushmore is great to visit while going somewhere else, like Custer State Park! I could do without Crazy Horse, so Retired, to drive all that way would have been a disappointment for me also.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM

We stayed in Spearfish a couple of nights, and liked the town very much, and we enjoyed the Black Hills, too! Saw where they filmed at least part of "Dances With Wolves" there. Just that Crazy Horse was nothing (in our opinion), though it MAY be some day, of course, and Mt. Rushmore was... well... like the photos!

Each of us has his or her own impressions, like I said!
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM

fyi, i am staying at Rock Crest Lodge which is in custer, sd. it is a little bit away from custer state park. Rock Crest has been taken over by custer resorts but is not part of that website's internet based reservations. You can go directly to that site to see if there is availability.