Quick check in re 3 lodging options —Aix B&B-last min short stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2024, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, Excited to have the opportunity of a last minute work trip that will have me staying in Reims and Paris for a few nights (Paris longer than Reims—lodging all set with these two bases). I’ve just tagged a 4 night leisure get away onto the end of this trip so I can visit Aix en Provence. Have long wanted to visit, and of course need a much longer trip(s) there and to the region as a whole. (I have so many excellent TRs and Stu Dudley’s guide saved for reference.) But I’m excited to get a taste of AeP.

Most B&Bs/small hotels mentioned in various TRs and threads are fully booked during my stay. (I don’t want to rent an apt.) I’ve narrowed my list to three that have availability, are in my budget, and seem like the kinds of places I would like. They are as follows: B&B Villa Roumanille [.6 miles from city center); Hotel Escaletto (.3 miles from city center); and Aquabella Hotel & Spa (also .3 miles from city center). I’m going to dig deeply into the reviews on booking.com today and reserve one of them. But I welcome any very quick reactions in re location. I love to walk so the .6 mile walk to the center is not an issue.

I will not have a car, but saw lrices discussion in her great TR re public transport options and day trips in the event that I decide to venture. But I’m more likely to remain in AeP for my 3 full days there-it looks gorgeous and so atmospheric. Thanks in advance for any quick reactions, esp re location, of the three B&Bs that I’m looking at.
Old May 10th, 2024, 10:02 AM

I've been there a couple times, first time I stayed in Hotel Cardinal which was a good location. It's only a 2* hotel but suppose you checked it out.

Really, any of those would be ok, you checked the distance. The B&B is in a different area, and that's near the university and the gare routiere, actually (I parked in a carpark near it once so remember). So if you DID want to take bus trips, that would be a more convenient location for that. Of course AIx has a train station also. You probably won't be doing that much if you are only there a few days, but the tourist office is helpful there and has some small van tours to the countryside they can book for you.

I'm surprised that highend Acquabella place is about the same price as the B&B. They look like very different experiences.
Old May 10th, 2024, 07:44 PM

Like Christina, I have stayed at Hotel Cardinal and really liked it. Great location and parking nearby.

https://www.hotel-cardinal-aix.com/en
Old May 11th, 2024, 02:45 AM

Hi,
Hotel Escaletto and Aquabella Hotel & Spa are located in the historic centre.Thus, you'll find a lot of restaurants around.
This is not the case for Villa Roumanille.
Have a good stay !
Old May 11th, 2024, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone—all of this is very helpful. I’ve now made my booking and the advice was really useful in making a decision. I booked at Hotel Escaletto — seems a good fit in re location/cost/room type available/location. As always, so grateful to the community. Excited to get a taste of Provence and will let everyone know how things go.
Old May 11th, 2024, 07:52 AM

I think that's a good choice, for location, it's probably what I would have picked.
Old May 11th, 2024, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
I think that's a good choice, for location, it's probably what I would have picked.
Thanks, Christina!
Old May 11th, 2024, 10:18 AM

in