Search

Sedona

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2024, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona

My husband and I are staying three nights in Sedona for our anniversary. Best hiking and restaurant suggestions?

Thank you

Old May 8th, 2024, 04:33 PM

On our honeymoon over 30 years ago, we rolled into town on a cloudy afternoon and asked the clerk good spot for sunset. He kinda smurked and rolled his eyes at the clouds.
So we took a drive and went to the Chapel, and damn it was. biblical. The sky broke and the red rocks became neon. We didn't believe our eyes until we watched a video we were taking. It was kodachrome and beyond. There was a nice place Rene's? we had a couple of dinners, it must be long gone. Been thinking of returning for another glance of Sedona, Jerome and the Canyon.
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:58 AM

Oak Creek Canyon is spectacular and the town bills itself as the “Day Hike Capital of America” and the region has more than 100 trails. There are two visitor centers: Sedona Visitor Center and the Red Rock Ranger Visitor Center (for hiking, camping, etc). Rangers can tell you where to hike based on your interests and skill-levels.
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Great information....thank you
Old May 9th, 2024, 08:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife loves German food. We didn't see any in Sedona on our anniversary. We headed for the small town of Cornville and had great dinners at the Manzanita restaurant at the east end of town. They also have wild game on the menu as well.
Visit the small museum at the edge of Sedona near the apple orchard. Sedona was named after the daughter of the first postmaster. The postmasters first choice for the name of the town was rejected by the US Postmaster General.
Old May 9th, 2024, 12:22 PM

We enjoyed the upscale Mexican restaurant, Molé, so much that we returned a second night. We were staying at the adjacent hotel, The Arabella, which did gave us a slight discount but I would go back again even if I wasn't staying at the hotel. You can take a short walk up the hill behind the hotel and have a wonderful view at sunset.

You didn't ask about this, but we also had fun on our Pink Jeep tour.
Old May 9th, 2024, 12:58 PM

Two of our favorite restaurants are Elote Cafe and Saltrock Kitchen. Elote is hard to reserve but you can often find last minute cancellations. I've been wanting to try Mole.

For a short hike with a nice overview of Sedona, I like the airport loop trail.
Old May 9th, 2024, 02:56 PM

Fun - you'll love the area. Years ago my wife and I flew in to Phoenix, got a car and headed north to Arcosanti, which was a real gem (if you love bell-making and hippie-ish culture). Then we stopped at Montezuma Castle - great native history, plants & animals. We checked into the L'Auberge, it's right on the creek under trees, really lovely. We also took a super-fun Pink Jeep tour that went 4x4ing over the nearby hills, tons of fun and good photos. Red Rock State Park is nice and I highly recommend renting an offroad bike - so many trails! Enjoy.
Old May 14th, 2024, 07:35 AM

The West Fork of Oak Creek is probably the best hike in Sedona but crowded. If you decide to go there, go early, at least before 9:00, preferably on a weekday. I go there for fall colors and arrive at daybreak and then have it all to myself.

Crescent Moon Ranch is another nice place to visit. Good views of Cathedral Rock. Note Crescent Moon Ranch is infested with Goat Heads, a rather nasty thorn, so stay on the walkways as much is possible. In the same area is Secret Slickrock above Crescent Moon Ranch. From Google Maps just search for 'Secret Slickrock Sedona'. It is a short hike with good views at the end.

https://michaelstump.smugmug.com/Sedona

Yavapi Trailhead north of VOC (Village of Oak Creek) gives you some great views. A short walk from the parking lot to a slickrock area gives you nice views. Note you can only get to the trailhead from the southbound lane. There are a several trailheads north of VOC. There are a couple trails from Bell Rock Pathway Trailhead parking lot. You can also get a view of Rabbit Ears from those trails.

Another good trailhead is Courthouse Loop South Trailhead.

All these locations are listed on Google Maps.