Planning a 3.5 week itinerary in Southern Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2024, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Was hoping to get some advice on a good itinerary in Southern Africa. I've seen advice/tips for individual countries, but not sure about combining them. For example, most countries down there have big wildlife parks, which are similar to others in other countries. We're hoping to do several safaris, but would want to get a variety of different kinds (e.g. Okavango delta sounds amazing and very unique). How much time do people usually devote to safaris? Is it possible to get safari'd out (too many?).

We have about 3.5 weeks there (this excludes flight to/from). We're flying from San Francisco, so would probably fly to NYC and then to either Capetown or Johannesburg. We're hoping to rent a car and do most of the driving ourselves, but open to do some internal flights if needed to go longer distances (we've both traveled extensively as backpackers, so are experienced travelers). We're thinking mid-range budget. Would like to see a mix of safaris/nature and some cities/culture. Definitely want to see the Okavango delta.

Thank you!

Last edited by vladkatz8162; May 6th, 2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 7th, 2024, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

One thing I realized I forgot to mention is time of year... we are going this July. Which brings up another question... I've been seeing that its recommended to book safari accommodations in Botswana like a year ahead? Is this true?

Also, to narrow down the itinerary, given that we definitely want to see Botswana, we probably only have time for one more country. I'm guessing it would probably make sense to have it be a neighboring country (Namibia or Zimbabwe), though wouldn't necessarily be opposed to flying if necessary.
Old May 7th, 2024, 10:53 PM

Dear Vladkatz,
I live in Botswana, and just last week was organising a holiday for foreign friends who want to come and visit. Campsites etc for July are still available. I succeeded and therefore so can you. Local knowledge and contacts help of course. But in the main tourist areas it will be a matter of taking what you can get rather than taking your pick. I wouldn't delay too long though.
Fully equipped safari vehicles do seem to be in short supply, but in my opinion a ground tent is preferable to a rooftop tent, and it is easy enough to bring, buy or hire the equipment you need for a camping trip if you hire an unequipped 4x4.
Good luck,
Graeme