Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Ongoing nightmare with Uber app on my phone in Rio (cd be Brazil)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2024, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eversince I landed in Brazil I have a strange predicament. I booked an Airbnb in Arpoador . Very well appointed in a good location. Yet Uber kept flagging Moto and no Uberx or any car. Airport staff tried to help and the woman at the information desk said she is aware of this problem with some tourists but no idea why. After an hour of deleting updating reinstalling gave up and took a regular taxi which was significanyky expensive. This has continued . Am getting Uber cars in one direction but on the way back only Moto. Yet when other locals are trying same address standing next to me in their phones it is showing Uber cars!! They are all intrigued but of course noone has a clue.

Uber support has been most unhelpful . Each time a new person starts a chat about the problrm and asks me to explain it without looking at the trail , suggest a delete and reinstall and then silence until my prodding leads to a new person start with basic auestions and a vicious cycle starts all over again. Someone suggested an alternate app called 99 but it downloads in my phone in an illegible language with no way of changing it. I took it to phone shops all have no answer.

In the meantime got myself a local sim but my problem persists. Surfing the net found at least one person had the same problem. Loding a lot if money through regular taxis. Other interesting thing is not getting any OTP codes as messages . Completely stuck and at a loss. Any sound advice will be hugely appreciated . I am so upset eith Uber support.
I was in Buenos Aires in this trip earlier and Uber worked perfectly on my phone. My phone is.an Iphone 13 pro max with the latest software updated.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 02:40 AM

Why bother continuing to use Uber if they don't provide the service you want. I stopped using them here in London a while ago as they became more expensive than there competitors and it became increasingly difficult to get rides in certain parts of London so I stated using other ride apps which were cheaper and had better availbilyt and service. I think Cabify operate in Rio and I am sure there are others.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 01:35 PM

99 is an App that is an alternative in Brazil (an arm of DiDi).

But I've had issues with using DiDi overseas with a US credit card.

Maybe they have a workaround. There are chats about this app on Reddit.