Travelling To Albania Tirana To Theth & Back. Need Opinions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2024, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So me and my wife planning to visit albania for 3 nights. We saw some tiktok videos and fell in love but upon research it seems like Albanias public transport system isn't like other europian countries. We found only a handful ways to travel once we are there but even that seems really complicated for us. Since we have limited days we can't just stay there and figure out everything.

So we found this package for 2 days which is from Tirana to Theth to Shkoder & Back to Tirana. So we thought we can book an Airbnb the first day at Tirana, do what Tirana has to offer then next morning the package starts and back to Tirana after 1 night Book another Airbnb for that night before hand and then spend the night wake up, and roam around and back to airport (we will be flying from UK btw)

Now my question is, when we went to Turkey last year these website packages were really expensive compare to what we found in those travel shops and stuff In Turkey. So should we book this package online from here or would it be better if we book it once we land there and check into our hotel or airbnb? I mean isn't finding it would be difficult?

The package we found is for 350 Euro for two people at BTTours Please suggest if you have anything better or recommend something else or some other alternatives, anything would help.

Thank you

Old Apr 27th, 2024, 07:50 AM

If you are interested in the mountains of Northern Albania (only), this package may work for you. You don't tell us whether the Koman - Fierza ferry is included, however.
If you are interested in stunning beaches, Unesco world heritage cities and archeological sites, it's the wrong solution for sure.
But 3 noigjhts isn't enough to get a somewhat serious impression of Albania anyway.
If you plan to visit Saranda and Butrint, it would be easier to fly home from Corfu.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 10:29 AM

I have only begun scratching the surface of my own Albania research, but this tour does not seem worthwhile to me. Cost is affordable, but not necessarily covers everything I think you might actually want to see. Does it include accommodations?

Have you maybe looked into hiring/renting a car and how much that may cost you for a potential longer trip? You'd have the freedom a tour would not give you as well as not being limited by public transport.

Since you live in the UK, it is much easier for you to plan a shorter trip (and perhaps multiple ones), obviously. For me, given everything I'd want to see in Albania, I'd need at least 5 nights, which is partially because I'm from west coast USA and the jet lag is much harsher.

So it really comes down to your preferences in the end.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
If you are interested in the mountains of Northern Albania (only), this package may work for you. You don't tell us whether the Koman - Fierza ferry is included, however.
If you are interested in stunning beaches, Unesco world heritage cities and archeological sites, it's the wrong solution for sure.
But 3 noigjhts isn't enough to get a somewhat serious impression of Albania anyway.
If you plan to visit Saranda and Butrint, it would be easier to fly home from Corfu.
It's true that I can barely scratch the surface of albania in 3 nights but I've done some research and I found the true untouch beauty to be in northern part of the country as I'm interested in only mountains and jungle and waterfall and stuff, I've had my fill of heritage and stuff.
Besides they are going to take us to Shkoder aswell to see some heritage castle and stuff. Also we are doing that cable car and stuff in Tirana on the first day too. The package includes journey to Tirana to Skhoder to Theth and back also a night stay in Theth in that price. Would you say its pretty fair?
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
I have only begun scratching the surface of my own Albania research, but this tour does not seem worthwhile to me. Cost is affordable, but not necessarily covers everything I think you might actually want to see. Does it include accommodations?

Have you maybe looked into hiring/renting a car and how much that may cost you for a potential longer trip? You'd have the freedom a tour would not give you as well as not being limited by public transport.

Since you live in the UK, it is much easier for you to plan a shorter trip (and perhaps multiple ones), obviously. For me, given everything I'd want to see in Albania, I'd need at least 5 nights, which is partially because I'm from west coast USA and the jet lag is much harsher.

So it really comes down to your preferences in the end.
yeah I understand from US its much more difficult and not worth the journey if its not at least a week or so. We don't drive but I did looked into rental and stuff but it feels really complicated and the terrain doesn't help either.

Since I'm new to the forum I can't post link but the package includes travel from Tirana to Skoder to Theth and back (private transport) night stay in hotel and also breakfast and dinner and some entry tickets to some heritage sites. You think it's fare?
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 07:12 PM

What is fair to you is fair to you, none of us here can make that decision as it is your money.

I am unable to find the tour company you mentioned via Google. The only one I can find is based out of Romania, not Albania. Is there anything else in the name? I tried multiple combinations.

In general, I avoid tours except for the occasional walking or food tour and my own upcoming trip will be the same to Albania despite the limits on public transport. But what I look for are words like: "view, stop at, see" as they, more than often, are simply 15-minute photo ops and not actually going into the actual landmark/site to visit. I look for words that may suggest how long one will be in a certain site or location and what that might include.

If this company feels too expensive to you, it probably is. You have a high mark-up (potentially) of both transport and guide, which is why tours in general cost more than they often are worth.

Edit: perhaps you might check to see if there are any posted reviews of the specific tour you are looking at on Google or even Trip Advisor. Not that I am trying to dissuade you from posting here, but Trip Advisor may have more activity of locals posting about Albania that may give you additional guidance.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Apr 27th, 2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 01:43 AM

You didn't tell us whether the Koman Lake ferry, one of the jewels of Northern Albania, is included in your package or not. Idem for Valbona and the many guided hikes from there.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
What is fair to you is fair to you, none of us here can make that decision as it is your money.

I am unable to find the tour company you mentioned via Google. The only one I can find is based out of Romania, not Albania. Is there anything else in the name? I tried multiple combinations.

In general, I avoid tours except for the occasional walking or food tour and my own upcoming trip will be the same to Albania despite the limits on public transport. But what I look for are words like: "view, stop at, see" as they, more than often, are simply 15-minute photo ops and not actually going into the actual landmark/site to visit. I look for words that may suggest how long one will be in a certain site or location and what that might include.

If this company feels too expensive to you, it probably is. You have a high mark-up (potentially) of both transport and guide, which is why tours in general cost more than they often are worth.

Edit: perhaps you might check to see if there are any posted reviews of the specific tour you are looking at on Google or even Trip Advisor. Not that I am trying to dissuade you from posting here, but Trip Advisor may have more activity of locals posting about Albania that may give you additional guidance.

w w w. btours . al/tour/theth-and-shkoder-2-days-tour-from-tirana/
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 09:28 AM

I played around on that website, thank you. Some of the website has yet to be updated to 2024 dates and details. Given that the holiday season is pretty much "now," this website should have been updated weeks ago.

It's your money, but to be honest, there are things that personally give me some pause.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Apr 28th, 2024 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 03:30 PM

Theth is wonderful, albeit an ambitious trip

I can't speak to the pros and cons of the tour company. But, having lived in Albania for 2 years and having traveled to Theth, here's what I can tell you:
1. Shkoder is a lovely city -- lots of history and charm.
2. Theth is amazing! The mountains that surround you are enormous and Theth itself is like a magical Brigadoon...it's another world.
3. I'm guessing that the tour company will be taking you to Theth over land -- that is, up the mountains. Several people have responded to you and suggested that you rent a car. Trust me, you do not want to make the drive on your own. Unless things have really changed (and I'm doubting they have), you need a high clearance, preferably AWD vehicle and the drive is arduous. You want an experienced tour guide to take you.

You might want to read a write-up I did about my trip to Theth. This site won't let me add the link, so maybe just Google "Sy Shqiponje (Eagle Eye)" and it'll come up.

Do not let my crazy experience put you off going there...rather, use it as a cautionary tale about not going on your own!

Good luck figuring it this out!