Search

Kids recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids recommendation

Hi, I have two questions about a visit to New York city:

1. what is the best observation deck with 5yo, 7yo? is daytime or night better?
2. what hotel / area is safe and kid friendly to stay in?
Old May 1st, 2024, 02:00 PM

I'm only a kid at heart, but loved the night view from the Empire State Building. For a daytime view, consider Top of the Rockefeller Center.

Edited to add ice skating at Rockefeller Center...not certain of how often. Google hotels with pools?

Last edited by TDudette; May 1st, 2024 at 02:03 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TDudette
I'm only a kid at heart, but loved the night view from the Empire State Building. For a daytime view, consider Top of the Rockefeller Center.

Edited to add ice skating at Rockefeller Center...not certain of how often. Google hotels with pools?

Just a note on the Ice Skating Rink at Rockefeller Center. It is a seasonal attraction. The season begins around the 3rd week in October of the current year and ends in early March of the following year.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:21 AM

There are lots of hotels throughout midtown Manhattan, which is not an especially kid-friendly area, in my opinion but of course I do live here so have never done NY as a tourist. You can easily explore all the various options and get back to us with specifics.

I would say that it might be good to stay where you can go to Central Park for the zoo and for playground areas. If I was coming with two kids, the highest priority destination for me would be the Museum of Natural History to see the blue whale and the dinosaurs. My daughter and her partner were just there with kindergarten-aged nephew and he loved it as well as riding on the subway to get there. Here is another thought, either the Circle Line boat ride around Manhattan or the Staten Island Ferry which is less expensive and goes by the Statue of Liberty. If you are baseball fans, check the schedules and visit either Citifield for the Mets or Yankee Stadium. Both are easy to get to on the subway.

Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:12 AM

nycgut and Madam347, your comments remind me that the Bronx zoo's petting zoo is also seasonal.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 01:59 PM

nycguy! sorry..
Old May 7th, 2024, 02:29 PM

States Island Ferry less expensive…it’s free! 😊
Old May 8th, 2024, 08:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
For a good hotel for your family, try The Hotel Beacon. They have really nice, reasonably priced two bedroom/ two bath suites (and smaller), with kitchens, dining area and living room. Lots of space for your kids and you.
https://www.beaconhotel.com

It's a short walk to the Park and the Lennon Memorial. Also located across the street from a full-market and deli and other family restaurants.
Close to a subway station, too.

Highly recommend.