Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what's going on in Paris Oct 13-18?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I had to change a planned trip to Paris from midApril to midOctober. The hotel I want to stay in (Hotel Luxembourg Parc) price is double in October from what it was for now. Does anyone know why? I made a reservation for October, but don't think I can manage that much. Can anyone suggest a charming hotel near the Park in the 300 euro a night range (or less)?

Thanks.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 07:32 AM

October has a lot of conferences and trade shows in addition to a still-busy tourist season.

It has been ten years since I've stayed here, https://www.hotel-moulinvert.com/ so I cannot vouch for current reviews and experiences or rates. But I liked the location a lot.

I'd also check for lodging via booking.com for your dates and price range. Their reviews require a verified stay, not via Google.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Apr 26th, 2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 08:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Location isn't everything. There are plenty of excellent hotels in the outer arrondissements. And I would take a hotel near the Buttes Chaumont any day over a place near the Luxembourg.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, Update. I've been binging since I learned the Parisian October situation. Now have 5 reservations:
--Parc Hotel Luxembourg (the one that doubled, think I'm not going to take it but have always wanted to stay two
--two hotels with same owner on Isle Saint Louis: Hotel de Lutece and Hotel des Deux Isles
--two hotels in the 5th arrondissement between Jardin des Plantes and Luxembourg Gardens: Grand Eccles (old country house, 51 rooms, risk and possible messing of flowered wall paper) and Residence Henry IV, on small cut de sac, with lounge and kitchenette (two options, one is apartment)

Cost ranges from high moderate to over the top, I'll figure that part out. What's hard to know (I'll read some reviews) is the atmosphere. I've been to Paris 5-6 times, speak enough French to be polite, not enough to have a real conversation. For the past 30 years, I've been there with my Italian husband, usually on the way to Italy. People have always been nice to us despite Paris reputation--the lure of an international couple, the fact we spoke mostly Italian, I could ask in French, he could understand. Also we are respectful and don't yell.

He died a year ago, way too young. I am/was older. It will be my first flight without him, first flight since 2019, I'll be going alone for 5 nights on my way to Genoa. In cities, I like being near parks and quiet. On this trip, I want to stay some place that will feel like "home" --I have that in Genoa, also in Venice, where there is some common space and warmth as well as privacy.

So that's the X factor in choosing between hotels. It feels a bit uncomfortably personal to post, but this is the only travel forum I've ever used, and I've found it useful.

Are Hawaiian Traveller and Kathie still posting (who I first "met" planning our 2008 trip to Japan for my 60th birthday)?