Search

India for the Kumbh Mela 2025

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India for the Kumbh Mela 2025

Good morning everybody!

I last went to India in 2013 for the Kumbh Mela. Long story short, I was pickpocketed for my passport and my debt and credit cards and had to leave the country before I got to see the festival. I had been a couple of times before that too and I have seen quite a lot of the country. I vowed to go for the next one, which as they are every 12 years everybody told me I would not do and life would happen in that timeframe and my priorities would be different......

..... In January 2025 I am going to India for the Kumbh Mela with my girlfriend. This should be great. I have a couple of questions though and I was wondering if anybody could help.
1) When I used to go to Delhi, I used to stay in a cheap hotel near one of the train stations. I think it was in or around the Main Bazaar from looking at Google Maps, but cannot be certain. I now have more resources than last time but for sentiment's sake, and the fact that elephants would sometimes walk past on their way to/from a nearby temple (I assume), would like to stay there again. As I said, I remember it was close to a train station and I also remember there was a German bakery on the ground floor of the building the hotel was in. This German bakery ruined the holiday of many a backpacker whilst I was there I recall. It was not far from Connaught Place either. These are the only three distinct features I remember. Can anybody help? Unlikely, but worth asking. I recall it was in the Lonely Planet guidebook at the time.......
2) The Kumbh Mela will be in Prayagraj this time round. Does anybody have any tips on i) accommodation. We do not mind too much if it is basic or expensive, more bothered about ease of logistics. I have read you can take your own tent, which I am not opposed to, but concerned it won't be secure and that we will lose our tent amongst the, presumably, millions of others. It says online that you can also rent a tent in a tent hotel. Also not opposed to this. Does anybody have an informed opinion about accommodation? Also, when do we need to start booking accommodation?
3) Additionally, the bathings in January this year are the 13th and 14th January (the second being a Royal bathing) so we were thinking of only arriving on the 12th and leaving on the 15th. Does this make sense?
4) Getting to and from Prayagraj - we can take the train from Delhi and then take it back for our flight our on the 17th. Is that cutting it too fine? It isn't far from Delhi so hiring a car and driver or going on bus could be an option if the train is not. Prefer not to fly, but as an absolutely last resort we can do. When do we need to start booking transport?
5) Any other general tips?

Sorry for the long post - looking forward to reading some replies! Thanks in advance.