Burgos Spain and more!

Search

Burgos Spain and more!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burgos Spain and more!

Hello, We will be traveling to Burgos Spain in early August. We will have a 15 & 20 year old in our group. This will be our first time in Europe and want to plan an affordable and memorable trip to Spain and possibly Portugal. We will have 10 days to explore. What is a realistic itinerary to experience this area and nearby cities/towns?

Thank you for your time.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 04:41 PM

We took a car trip via Burgos and on the to the northern coast; you could try something similar, driving from Burgos to San Sebastián with stops in rural Basque hotels in between. We included, on that trip) a few days in Getaria, which we loved, and another not too far from a restaurant that we had booked well in advance, not too far from Gernika (the hotel, not the restaurant)
San Sebastian will be crowded and pricey in August but that would be a great trip for me. You'd need to book now for the San Sebastian part, and any of the coastal towns to the west.

I think that would be great due to the age of the children.
You could also go to the Rioja area from Burgos, or to the Picos de Europa..but what things do you all want to do? Is hiking/walking of interest? Food? Museums?
Farm animals? Castles? Medieval towns??

Another option might be from Burgos to Oviedo, via Picos de Europa (lots of walking and sporty activities, and fantastic scenery). Gorgeous beaches and coastal towns would be on that route....fly home from Oviedo via Madrid.

Those are just a few of so many possibilities that com to my mind right away....

One big question is: How are you all with hot weather? Would you want to seek out cooler temperatures, or are the 80sF ok?

Again, for the north coast you need to think about planning and booking soon.

For me, ten days would not be enough to include Portugal, unless you fly to Lisbon from Bilbao, or return to Madrid and fly from there. I would not do either.

We did once fly inexpensively from Bilbao to Lisbon on Vueling, but our trips now are usually about three weeks long.
Ten days? Stick to Burgos (or is that in addition to the ten days??) and another region/province in Spain.

I'm leaving out Rioja, where wine is a big draw, since one of your kids is young-ish to drink, I imagine.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 24th, 2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 07:56 PM

Leave out Portugal, you don't have time for it. You might want to concentrate either on the coastal area (Basque Country and Asturias)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmophxJ6

https://flic.kr/s/aHskGvBjfL

or stay more inland to bisit such towns as Segovia, Avila to end your trip in Madrid and fly home.

Old Apr 24th, 2024, 08:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Burgos is a great town! Here are my trips to northwestern Spain and northeastern Spain. Many of the locations in each trip would work with Burgos. Sorry to say you don’t have enough time for Portugal in 10 days.

Northwestern Spain - A TR in Pictures

Northeastern Spain - A TR in Pictures

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 03:57 AM

Some very important questions:
What are your flight arrangements? Have you purchased your airfare, round trip or multi-city? Is there a particular reason you'll be starting in Burgos (maybe coming into MAD and moving directly to Burgos? How many nights on the ground? You'll have a car I assume?

I certainly agree with others that you simply don't have time to include Portugal.
And I would stay north if at all possible in early August as Old Castile will be extremely hot (I live here).

Going north from Burgos to the (usually) cooler Basque coast, Bilbao to San Sebastián/Donostia would be the easiest and best.
San Sebastián, yes, will be extremely pricey in August, as pricey as Barcelona, and lodging should be secured ASAP. Lodging in SS will take out a major chunk of your travel budget (it does mine!)
Can you fly home perhaps from Bilbao?
Airline destinations from Bilbao
https://www.aena.es/en/bilbao/airlin...tinations.html

Alternatively you could head northwest to the lovely Asturian seaside town of Ribadesella on the Cantabrian sea and visit some of the prettiest villages of the Cantabrian coast, or head south from Ribadesella to Picos de Europa, where you will have gorgeous mountain scenery and hiking opportunities galore, if that holds more interest.
Then fly home from the Asturias airport on the coast near Avilés. But flying home from OVD would most likely involve a longer connection. You can see the destinations from OVD here:
https://www.aena.es/en/asturias/airl...tinations.html

We're headed to the lovely city of Burgos tomorrow, then on to the Basque Country---- the Atxondo valley and the Urdaibai Biosphere towns of Gernika, Mundaka, Bermeo, staying at the Oar Cottage in Garai. There are lots of charming countryside B&B lodgings both in the Basque Country and Asturias.

For ekscrunchy,
Extebarri now opens its downstairs bar (the original "bar de pueblo") in tiny Axpe on Sunday mornings for pintxos and cazuelas. We're headed there!

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 25th, 2024 at 04:11 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 12:04 PM

Oh, Maribel! What a wonderful adventure you have in store!! I mean for me, your entire life now is one great adventure. Of course you knew which restaurant I alluded to!!
But when we went, I remember that I called them for a reservation and it was not so difficult to secure.....

Speaking of San Sebastián, any news about Ibai?
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 09:43 PM

Yes, eks, I knew which restaurant you were alluding to! Reservations at Etxebarri are near impossible now. Miguel Angel of La Catapa alerted me to the Sunday mornings at the Extebarri bar. He dined at Etxebarri last spring (along with David Muñoz) and also recommended Oar Cottage in Garai as a place to stay within an easy driving distance. The little hotel, Mendi Goikoa, in Axpe is always filled.

About Ibai: reopened, Mon-Fri lunch only.
https://www.baribai.com
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 09:28 AM

Celeeme,
If you do decide to head directly north from Burgos to Bilbao and the Basque Lands, where we are now in the Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve is filled with pretty little villages with inexpensive to moderate lodging, a type of B&B, a "casa rural" or "landa-etxea" in Basque. Some are just B&Bs, some whole house rentals, others agroturismos. You can find them on booking.com or at
https://www.nekatur.net/Default.aspx?lang=en-US

The place where we're staying now, the OAR cottage, is in the very cute hamlet of Garai, just a half hour from Bilbao airport or to the city of Bilbao.

Or if heading northwest to Asturias on the coast or down to Picos de Europa you can find equally charming and reasonably priced B&Bs, here called "casonas asturianas", which belong to this group-
https://www.casonasasturianas.com/en/

Ekscrunchy and I have both stayed in these.