Search

One day in Seoul before flying home

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 02:42 PM
J62
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Seoul before flying home

I have a quick business trip to Seoul coming up in a few weeks and plan to add a day (or 2) at the start or end of the trip on my own.

Any recommendations on how best to spend a day in or around Seoul?

I don’t have any interest in DMZ, and truth be told haven’t yet taken the time to do my own research which I usually do. This trip just popped up.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 01:11 PM
J62
Original Poster

I've had a little time to scope out some general options......
I'll be staying in a business district on the south side of Seoul, south of the river, close to a subway station so it'll be easy to get almost anywhere.

If the weather is nice, I'll want to get outside for a hike. That may be a 5-6km hike in one of the city parks, or venture to Bukhansan national park.
I'd love to find a food market - cooked/prepared food that is. It could be street food, or a large market with lots of different options to try.
Again, if the weather is nice, visiting one or several temples might be an option. Combined with a hike would be ideal.

Open to any suggestions on specific ideas.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 05:20 PM

Although you can get to Bukhansan by subway, it is not a short excursion at all. Equally deserving of attention is Namhansanseong, once a sprawling mountain fortress that is now part of a Namhansanseong Provincial Park. You can hike miles along the walls that protected the fortress and from one monumental gate to another. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here is the website with map. Not sure if there is an English language version... though could be useful for the map at least:

https://www.gg.go.kr/namhansansung-2/main.do

I think you could get a hired car (like uber) to take you up the mountain. Also, there is an 800 stair path you could walk up to the Namhansanseong West Gate from this park:

남한산성 서문 등산로 먼지털이

Gami-dong, Hanam-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea

BTW, there are multiple restaurants in the park, at least seven serve duck. Koreans eat duck, but usually only in villages. It's rare to find it in a city. They associate duck (and also goat) with country living. And they also strongly associate hiking with tofu, so there is at least one tofu restaurant as well (Tofu Making House). Dubu kimchi is a dish not easy to find outside Korea, but it is an excellent choice especially at a place that makes their own tofu.

The best market for food and one of the cities best attractions is the Gwangjang Market, Seoul's central market that is a rabbit's warren of tiny alleys. The bindatteok (mung bean pancakes) are a main attraction, sold by women who are freshly frying them. There is also a section of the market for yuk hoe, a kind of beef tartare. I am fond of saying there are eight places to eat for every step you take in Seoul, and often where you eat will determine what you eat.

Last edited by shelemm; Apr 23rd, 2024 at 06:03 PM.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 03:28 AM
J62
Original Poster

Thank you shelemm! Much appreciated. I'll read through your other Korea posts for more tips. Most of my trip will be hosted by local businesses - bus or taxi here, networking reception there so I look forward to getting out and about on my own. Figuring out how to get around, or get lost is part of the fun! I like your description (on another post) about a duck meal. No menu, and they just kept bringing you courses.....

Did you use any cash on your trip, or was everything cc or tap to pay?
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by J62
Thank you shelemm! Much appreciated. I'll read through your other Korea posts for more tips. Most of my trip will be hosted by local businesses - bus or taxi here, networking reception there so I look forward to getting out and about on my own. Figuring out how to get around, or get lost is part of the fun! I like your description (on another post) about a duck meal. No menu, and they just kept bringing you courses.....

Did you use any cash on your trip, or was everything cc or tap to pay?
My trip was a long time ago, so I am not the person to ask about 'recent' advancements. I am pretty sure I used cash everywhere. The duck places up on Namhansan do have full menus so it looks like you will have to choose.