A Few More Japan Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting into the nitty gritty of my November 2024 Japan planning and have a few questions:

Tokyo Hotel Location - I'm going pretty basic and budget for my Tokyo accommodations. I'll be in Tokyo for five full days and plan to explore most areas of the city. I'm a solo female traveler, and although I won't be out and about after midnight, I will likely be walking through parts of the city after dark. I've narrowed my hotel choices down to the following areas. Does any of these locations stand out as the best or worst option? Highest priorities are convenience and safety.
- Hotel right next to Higashi Shinjuku station (I read this is considered part of the Kabuchiko neighborhood, which I don't love)
- Hotel 1 min walk to Shinjuku-Gyoenmae Station
- Hotel 3 min walk to Gaeimmae Station

Kyoto Holiday Crowds - I'll be in Koyoto over the national thanksgiving holiday (11/23). What days should I expect to see an increase in crowds due to the holiday - just the weekend, Friday-Sunday, Friday-Monday?

I'm planning a mix of popular and more off-the-beaten path sites for Kyoto so as to not be overwhelmed by the crowds. However, I imagine these lesser-known sites are mostly lesser known to international tourists, and they may get busy with the domestic traveler crowds over the holiday weekend. (By lesser known I'm mostly referring to out of the way sites like Yoshiminidera and Kifune/Kurama. I also plan to visit a number of lesser-known temples in Higashiyama and Arashiyama that will be mixed in with the popular sites.) So, do I try to spread out the crowds, visiting the lesser-known spots on the weekend, knowing they'll likely be busier than usual. Or do I hit up the more popular spots during the holiday weekend, knowing that they are going to be crowded no matter what, and preserve the lesser known spots for the days before and after the holiday to have a truly tranquil experience?

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 03:55 PM

Kyoto will be very busy, especially if the foliage will be at peak. If you go to Kiyomizu-dera early, you may avoid most of the crowds; by early I mean 6:00 or 6:30. Same for Fushimi Imari.

Saiho-ji or the Moss Temple is not crowded as it is limited but reserve early. Same for Katsura Imperial Villa.

Other lesser known temples I’ve enjoyed are Enko-ji, Kurodani, and Shinnyo-do.

I was there this past November, so similar time. Click on my name for my trip report if you’d like. Progol also has an excellent report for her November trip.
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 08:07 PM

I second this, Kyoto was insane when I went around late October
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 12:15 AM

As far as your Tokyo hotels, I would prefer the third area you listed. I have never figured out Shinjuku...lol....the third one seems a better area. What about Ueno?
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 02:44 AM

We’ll be going back to Kyoto next November, too, and one of the things I plan to do is take a day trip to Uji. This is said to be a lot less busy than other day trips, such as Nara, though many people do say it’s easy enough to escape crowds in Nara, too.

I like this particular link - it has suggestions for less crowded temples and shrines, and I plan to check some out when we return:
https://www.insidekyoto.com/how-to-e...rowds-in-kyoto
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 07:30 AM

Any of the three locations is fine. You will leave your hotel and go to a subway/railway station and it sort of doesn't matter where you start. You could find out how to get to Yamanote Line or Shinjuku Station or Chuo Line from each station, I guess, but once you get to a station you are in the system and can go anywhere.

Kabukicho has gotten a bit Disneyfied over the years and I have seen girls walking there at night. But you don't need to go there anyway (unless you want to walk the 15 min to Shinjuku Station). You just go the station next to the lodging. Being that close is going to be good in the rain.
The name of the second station means that it is (mae) in front of Shinjuku Gyoen (definitely visit, entrance fee and might be reservation required for entry time or something). There is a bus between there an west side of Shinjuku Station, but google said 11 min walk.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 07:35 AM

>> lesser-known spots on the weekend
Maybe that is your better strategy, but it is kind of a toss-up. I would not be concerned about any increase in Japanese tourists over Labor Thanksgiving weekend.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input, it's been helpful! I think I will stick with my original plan of visiting the lesser-known sites on the weekend and keeping the most popular sites for the days farthest away from the holiday.