Train pass for a 4 day trip to Black Forest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2024, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are a group of 6 adults and 1 child (6 years) and will be travelling to Black Forest region in early May. We will be staying in Freiburg from 4th to 7th May and exploring the region using trains and other public transport.

Please advice which is the best rail pass that we can utilize. I am aware about the BW ticket which is valid for 1 day but is there any pass or group ticket which is valid over multiple days in the BW region?

As we are 6 adults, I understand that we will need to take 2 BW tickets - 1 for 5 people group and 1 separate for the 6th person. In this case is it better for the 6th person to take a Germany ticket instead for 49 euros valid for 1 month? Or is there any other combination which can work out better?

PS: I am now aware about the KONUS card which we can get by staying in specific covered towns but changing our accommodation is not possible for us now as the cancellation charges for it are too high and would negate any benefit of the KONUS card.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 05:24 AM

All depends on the trips you plan to do. The BW ticket might be the best solution, except for short trips or for destinations outside BW, like Colmar.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response neckervd. We plan to spend one day in Freiburg and Titisee area for which 1 day group ticket from RVF will be cheaper.

For the other days when we travel outside RVF area, we will take BW group ticket. Is there a multiday option in the BW ticket or do we have to take a separate ticket for each day?
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 12:00 AM

If you are staying at a place where you pay tourist tax won't you get KONUS cards?
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 05:00 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We have always been given the Konus card when staying in Freiberg. Have you checked with your accommodation?

Here's a list of other offered cards:

https://www.blackforest-highlights.c...st-cards-konus

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
All depends on the trips you plan to do. The BW ticket might be the best solution, except for short trips or for destinations outside BW, like Colmar.
Thanks neckervd. We plan to cover Freiburg, Titisee, Gengenbach, Baden Baden and one out of Strasbourg/Colmar. So I was thinking that we can take a 1 day RVF group ticket and cover Freiburg and Titisee on that day and for the other two days we take BW tickets. Does that sound right? Also, for BW group ticket is there a multiday option (2 day or 3 day)?

Also, for visiting Strasbourg or Colmar, what additional ticket would we need to take in addition to the BW or RVF ticket respectively?
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8
We have always been given the Konus card when staying in Freiberg. Have you checked with your accommodation?

Here's a list of other offered cards:

https://www.blackforest-highlights.c...st-cards-konus
The Konus card website does not include Freiburg as an eligible town for Konus card. I checked with my apartments and they also said that they don't issue Konus cards. I thought no hotels in Freiburg would be giving Konus card. Is that not the case?
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 02:01 AM

https://int.bahn.de/en/buchung/katal...TBWTL00001O201
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 05:14 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought no hotels in Freiburg would be giving Konus card. Is that not the case?

We received one from our hotel, but it's been several years. Not all hotels (and perhaps apartments) participate.

From the linked website:

The KONUS Card is primarily targeted at tourists who choose to stay within the Black Forest region. Visitors staying at a participating hotel, guesthouse, holiday apartment, or campground that charges a local tourist tax are eligible for this benefit. This includes both international tourists and domestic travelers, reflecting the inclusive nature of the initiative.

The first step to obtaining the KONUS Card is to book your stay at one of the participating accommodations. These establishments are partners in the KONUS program and are spread throughout the Black Forest region. Most hotels participate (about 150 establishments) and offer the KONUS card as a benefit. Be sure to check for this when booking your accommodation in the Black Forest.

Most hostels are exempt from the visitor tax and often do not provide a KONUS card.

https://www.blackforestfamily.com/tr...ial-konus-card

Last edited by Melnq8; Apr 22nd, 2024 at 05:20 AM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

So this is the combination of tickets that I am thinking with our base in Freiburg:

Day 1: Explore Freiburg and Titisee (and Feldberg if we have time) - Take RVF day ticket
Day 2: Explore Gengenbach, Hausach (BF Museum) and Strasbourg - Take RVF day ticket and combine with TGO - Europass Family 24h. Does this take care of travel to all these three places?
Day 3: Trip to Baden Baden and perhaps one more location - Take BW day ticket

Does this sound ok?