Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed: Barcelona, Seville and Madrid/Lisbon on 9 day itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Planning a trip to Spain/Portugal this August and we have 9 days. We like a good mix of relaxation, local feel, history/museum and beach. We will be traveling from USA. We were thinking of Barcelona, Seville and Lisbon or Madrid for the third city. Barcelona is must have as it is a beach city and offers a bit of everything and this is our first trip to Spain or Portugal. Seville seems to be a nice small local Spanish town and have heard good things about it. Should we include Madrid or instead visit Lisbon (as we definitely want to see what Lisbon/Portugal has to offer sometime).

We would split the 9 days into 4 days in Barcelona, 2-3 in Seville and 2 in Madrid probably or 2.5 and 2.5 between Seville and Lisbon/Madrid.

What do people think? what do you recommend? and do you recommend flying into Barcelona and flying out of Lisbon/Madrid or flying into Lisbon/Madrid and fly out of Barcelona? Would we miss something if we skip Madrid in favor of Lisbon?

Had another idea of doing Paris, Barcelona, Seville instead, but would have to find a place to fly out (or do round trip from Paris which would mean we would have to fly back to Paris from Seville.

Confused.. Suggestions and recommendations pls.
Options:
1. Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon
2. Barcelona, Seville, Madrid
3. Paris, Barcelona, Seville.

Thank you!
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 11:46 AM

Do you actually have 9 days on the ground, meaning 10 nights, or are you including the arrival and departure days as part of the 9 days? Travel between places so far apart will eat up a a good bit of two of your days. At best, if you have 10 nights, you can take a fast train from Barcelona to Madrid, and you will have about 3 days in Barcelona, 2 in Madrid and 2 in Seville. Would you fly into Barcelona and out of Seville? BTW, Seville will be extremely hot in August, sometimes unbearably so.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Do you actually have 9 days on the ground, meaning 10 nights, or are you including the arrival and departure days as part of the 9 days? Travel between places so far apart will eat up a a good bit of two of your days. At best, if you have 10 nights, you can take a fast train from Barcelona to Madrid, and you will have about 3 days in Barcelona, 2 in Madrid and 2 in Seville. Would you fly into Barcelona and out of Seville? BTW, Seville will be extremely hot in August, sometimes unbearably so.
Thank you. Yes, not counting travel days, I have 9 full days.
I was planning into Barcelona, stay for 3-4 days, then fly to Seville, stay for 2-days, then fly to Lisbon (or train to Madrid), stay for 2 days and then fly out of Madrid or Lisbon. Would this work?
Or I will have to reverse (fly into Madrid, stay for 2.5 days,, train to Seville, stay for 2.5 days, fly to Barcelona stay for 4 days, and fly out of Barcelona).

Thoughts?
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 01:03 PM

It depends on what you want to see and do. It might not be possible, but if I could fly into Seville, I would visit Seville, then Granada, fly to Barcelona and home from there. However, if flying into Madrid makes more sense, then, do 2 days in Madrid, 3 in Seville (with a day trip by train to Cordoba so you easily see one more place), 3 or 4 in Barcelona. You could also do 3 in Madrid (with a day trip to Toledo or Segovia), 2 or 3 in Seville and 3 or 4 in Barcelona. See a bit more of Spain. Save Portugal for another trip or just do Barcelona and Lisbon.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by powermag
Hello,
Planning a trip to Spain/Portugal this August and we have 9 days. We like a good mix of relaxation, local feel, history/museum and beach. We will be traveling from USA. We were thinking of Barcelona, Seville and Lisbon or Madrid for the third city. Barcelona is must have as it is a beach city and offers a bit of everything and this is our first trip to Spain or Portugal. Seville seems to be a nice small local Spanish town and have heard good things about it. Should we include Madrid or instead visit Lisbon (as we definitely want to see what Lisbon/Portugal has to offer sometime).

We would split the 9 days into 4 days in Barcelona, 2-3 in Seville and 2 in Madrid probably or 2.5 and 2.5 between Seville and Lisbon/Madrid.

What do people think? what do you recommend? and do you recommend flying into Barcelona and flying out of Lisbon/Madrid or flying into Lisbon/Madrid and fly out of Barcelona? Would we miss something if we skip Madrid in favor of Lisbon?

Had another idea of doing Paris, Barcelona, Seville instead, but would have to find a place to fly out (or do round trip from Paris which would mean we would have to fly back to Paris from Seville.

Confused.. Suggestions and recommendations pls.
Options:
1. Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon
2. Barcelona, Seville, Madrid
3. Paris, Barcelona, Seville.

Thank you!
Seville is hardly a small place . ( seven hundred thousand ) hot, hot in August…usually 90 -100 F.
It is a beautiful city, it shuts down in the afternoon
Lisbon is easier to navigate than Madrid if you have only a couple of days.
Also, you get a taste of different culture.

I avoid Paris in August…holiday time for locals.

You may wish to check the flights to / from those cities to determine what works for you.
Train connections between Barcelona - Madrid, and Madrid - Seville are excellent.
ps.
My first visit to Spain was in August many years ago. I was young , the heath didn’t bother me.
If you love beaches , often overlooked, Valencia is a great city . Two hours by train from Madrid.

Last edited by danon; Apr 19th, 2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 05:36 AM

For me, I would not do more than 2 cities in 9 days. Think of all the travel time!!!!

For me, personal taste, I would omit Sevilla due to the weather, unless you are ok with 90sF and up.

Maybe Barcelona and Lisbon might be the coolest (temperatures). Surely you can fly into one and home from the other...DO NOT backtrack.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 20th, 2024 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 11:07 AM

I agree with the ever helpful ekscrunchy!

Where are you flying from in the US? It makes a big difference on which starting point to plan your trip.

i.e. We always fly from the east coast in the evening, arriving in the very early hours of the morning in Europe. That way we can land, change planes and then be in our destination around noonish so we don't have to wait very long to check in to our lodging.

Depending on the connecting flight time in Europe is where we start our trip. If you can get a non stop from the US that's fabulous, we rarely can.

Vueling has direct flights to/from Barcelona/Lisbon for 50 to 100e one way. I've always been happy with their staff, efficiency and prices. You get to see the whole month of flights on their website so you can see the price differences. Depending on your home airport, Tap Portugal has expanded their international non stop flights and they were offering free layovers in Lisbon and Porto. They are an exceptional airlines too.

There is soooo much to do in both cities it will be easy to fill up your days especially since this is your first trip to both countries. More time in less cities is my motto but I like to walk the streets ducking into a cafe or a unique place not on the radar.

Give us a few more specifics and I know the Fodorites will be more than happy to help!

Bon Voyage!

Last edited by francefling; Apr 20th, 2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 11:56 AM

Danon makes a good point about the heat in Seville in August. And it might be higher than 100 degrees in August. We were in Seville in very early October 2017, and the temps were in the low to mid 90's every day. Try to get a hotel with a pool. Try to sightsee in the mornings and evenings, and take siestas and swim in the pool in the afternoons. Bring plenty of water with you while sightseeing, wear hats and sunblock.

And I agree with ekscrunchy with visiting 2 cities in 9 days. The heat will slow you down, too.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 06:38 PM

Cordoba needs at least a one-night stay to see well. Yes I have read about people doing a day trip to Cordoba. I spent 2 night/ 1-1/2 days in Cordoba. I would investigate and compare: flying into Seville, then Madrid, then flying back from Barcelona; OR flying to Barcelona, then Madrid, then flying back from Seville. I would avoid traveling directly from Barcelona to Seville or from Seville to Barcelona, because your trip is too short to spend most of your day just switching cities. I know that Portugal boarders Spain but combining Lisbon, and Madrid or Barcelona, in a ten-night trip, would take more effort that it looks like it should take.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 07:04 PM

I would favor Lisbon over Madrid.
Old May 1st, 2024, 11:50 PM

3 days in Barcelona, high speed train to Madrid.
3 days in Madrid, high speed train to Cordoba
It might be too rushed to visit Cordoba and continue on the high speed train to Seville on the same day. Just spend the night close to the train station - it's a short walk or taxi ride to the old town
High speed train to Seville. Last two days there.

It's too bad you don't have one extra day for Granada!