Search

France or Italy for month in November

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France or Italy for month in November

Hi everyone -

Looking for some advice on where to stay in France or Italy as a base for the month of November. Last year, my wife, 2 year old (now 3) and I went to France for a month in June and stayed in Paris, St. Remy, Nice, Beaune, and Colmar. We had an amazing time. This time, we'd like to have a single base. In France, we are open to Paris again (but further out in the city), open to Aix, Dordogne area, Annecy/ Alps area, and others we aren't considering. In Italy, my wife and I several years ago traveled to Florence, Rome, Naples, and the Amalfi coast- we loved each. I think we'd be open to staying in Venice, Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua (or similar). I have done less research into Italy, however, my wife is partial to Italy since we just were in France this past year. Also, I expect the weather and daylight hours will be favor Italy in November.

Our needs: safe, close to train, plenty to do in the area, not within city center of major city
Our likes: history, culture, food, walking/ hikes, beautiful scenery
*Prefer not to rent a car.

Thanks!
-MPLux

Last edited by MPLux; Apr 14th, 2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:42 PM

Why do you want to stay in the outskirts of Rome? It would put you further from the main train stations. The further you get the more you'd want a car for routine stuff like groceries.

Daylight won't be much different than France.

The bigger issue is rain. November it rains.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response, Nick! I meant that we do not want to be right next to major tourist attractions~ I've edited the OP for clarity.

I was thinking there'd be an hour more of daytime in Rome vs Paris. I'll have to double check. Either way, these are only two of the many options.

-MPLux

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 06:00 PM

Consider Spain also.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The difference in the number of daylight hours between Paris and Rome on Nov. 15th, is 39 minutes. Between Lyon and Venice, less than 10 minutes.

I don't mind cold temps, but you and your wife should think about what weather conditions you hope to have. Crummy, wet weather might not be much fun with a toddler.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
November I'd choose Sicily, it might still be coldish or it might be warmer but, 1) not many other tourists will be there so queues will be zero and 2) it might be warm
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 02:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I’d consider further south in November due to rain.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 09:35 AM

This web site is the ideal tool for exploring your November options:
https://www.whereandwhen.net

Once upon a time, when the Thorn Tree forum still existed, I asked for November ideas. Andalusia in southern Spain was a heavy favourite.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Prefer not to rent a car."

That's limiting, esp. with a small child. Visualize all the stuff you'll need to take with you on day trips by train/bus.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 03:49 PM
mjs

I agree with Andalusia for November but not having a car is somewhat limiting
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Ty everyone! Discussing with wife and will consider Spain. I am not too familiar with Andalusia. I'll take a look into it. Is there a particular town that is suggested to stay at? Assuming Granada?

at bilboburgler - do you have a favorite town in Sicily?

at FttOttowa - thank you for the suggestion / link to that tool. Very helpful.

at Jean- depending on the area that we pick, we will consider a car. Our time in Paris, we didn't need one. When we were in the south, we had a car and it worked well.

-MPLux
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 06:59 PM

If you choose Andalusia I would suggest Seville over Granada. We were in both places last June and I think Seville has more to offer. Plus with a small child in tow I'm assuming you will have a stroller and Seville is flatter than Granada, plus it has a nice large park in the centre of it. We spent 6 nights there and 3 in Granada and really could have done 1 or 2 in Granada.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:48 PM

MP, you pose an intriguing question. Lots of good advice above to get you started.
I am done. the November place
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 01:53 AM

Definitely go to Italy, Southern Italy to be specific. It won't be too hot or too cold and you won't get a lot of crowd as it is off season. But if you want to explore winter activities then a trip to Northern Italy in December or January would be best. For November tho, Southern Italy is the best option imo.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 11:02 AM

If you decide for Sicily, have a look at Trapani, it's less stressful and chaotic than Palermo or Catania and ideally placed for visiting the area by car, lots to see: https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...ip-report.html
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 11:45 AM
P_M

All of my trips to Venice have been wonderful except the one I took in November, years ago. We lost a lot of time due in Venice due to Aqua Alta, or severe flooding. The water was so high one day that we were stuck at the hotel. They canceled all gondola rides for a few days because the gondolas couldn't go under the bridges, again, due to high water.

On that same trip I visited Rome and Florence where we didn't have flooding but it was still very cold and rainy. Naples and Sorrento weren't bad.

You're probably not considering Venice so I'm posting for informational purposes in case someone else is.

As others have recommended, go South.

Last edited by P_M; Apr 17th, 2024 at 11:47 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the recommendations! We're looking into the suggestions and will revert back.

-MPLux
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 07:16 PM

One of my trips to europe is always in November as it is my birthday and I can only celebrate it in europe and requires the whole month!

November 2021 in Paris for the month and it rained 2x and it was at night. Glorious sunny and cool, not cold. November of 2023 I was there for the month. Rain, drizzle, sprinkles and damp every day except for about 4 days. Miserable. But Paris so not MISERABLE!

I am going to southern Italy for November 2024 and I only bring a carryon but from recent travel experiences , climate change seems to be playing havoc with temps. Although I only travel with one color, am now more concerned with different types of outter wear than I am with shirts. What was sweater and LS shirt in November of 2021 was long coat and rain gear in 2023.

Southern Italy November 2024 since will be in the boot and heel hoping sweaters, one heavy and one lighter and LS shirt will work. Or may go with a jacket with a hood for rainy and cooler weather.

I am planning a trip to Europe in April and one southern european city had low 40 degree weather and the 10 day forecast then went to low 70s, Hard to plan for!

So I think our perceptions of what the weather will be like except for June, July and August is up to the gods!