Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What town along the Amalfi Coast should I stay for a month?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I need to get ideas where to stay for a month in April/May of 2025. We would like to rent a rental home along the Amalfi Coast and do day trips. Ideally we would like to stay at a home close to the beach with a view of the ocean and close to town with not too many stairs. (we are 67 and 77). My dream is to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. I would appreciate all suggestions!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 11:02 AM

I would recommend Atrani, we spent four days there end April 2024 in an Airbnb right across from the beach. Atrani, said to be the smallest commune in Italy, is a quiet haven without the tourist crowds of the more popular suspects. Several good restaurants and a couple of small convenience stores, there’s a small beach which officially opens in May.

Amalfi is a short 7-8 minutes walk away and is a transport hub, with buses and ferries to take you up and down the coast, and also to Capri and the other islands. So the vibe of the bigger town is right next door.

Our one bedroom apartment was right on the main road, up one flight of stairs. Windows giving onto the sea, with a tiny but serviceable kitchen. Sufficient for our needs as we only made breakfast, no proper cooking. But I don’t believe we could hear the sea, it was quite calm at that time of the year.

Like you I was also looking for a place on street level without hundreds of steps to negotiate and this was perfect. I can give you the owner’s details if you are interested, he also has other apartments in the town.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I would love all the information! Thank you so much!!
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 06:19 AM

Our Airbnb host was Luca, he’s available on whatsapp and should be happy to give you details of his various properties,

The view of the bay from the apartment is spectacular. Perhaps the only drawback was that you’re right on the coastal road, so at times the motorcycles can get rather loud. That apart we found it perfect. Luca was extremely helpful and responsive, he also arranged for a car service for us.

Luca +39 3392211709

alfierirooms.com
[email protected]

https://www.airbnb.com/slink/oAuiIXhH
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 07:08 AM

Hi Loveland,

Search zebec who recently spent a lot of time there. He put together a wonderful trip report from the area.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 07:12 AM

Atrani is lovely, but also look at Minori. Minori has a lovely wide sandy beach and has a nice small town vibe. There is a flat part of town and then a steep hillside behind but I'm sure you could find something suitable in the town across from the beach. It is just a few minutes bus or car ride away from Amalfi town.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 07:57 AM

Costa d'Amalfi: a TR
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 02:27 PM

I'm not sure you are going to hear many waves on that coast....I've never seen big waves.
You know, for a month, if you give up the waves, maybe Sorrento would be good. You an easily take the bus to any of the towns, and you can also take the bus to the Sorrentine Peninsula which is beautiful and has some great trails, or so I've read.

But you know where I would rent, if I could find a lovely house for one month? Cetara. It's so much less "touristy" than most of the other towns and since there are many local residents and few hotels, most of the people you will see moving about will be locals. And there are some FANTASTIC restaurants in that little town. It's a "real" town rather than a "tourist town." There is really only one hotel to speak of and that is located a little out of the town proper. And the main SITA bus stops close to the center of town, and you can also get easily to Salerno for sightseeing and walking along the seafront.
Cetara is also closest town to Vietri, the ceramics Mecca. And if you go into the hills, towards Tramonti, you will really be away from the tourists and find some great pizza (you can find great pizza in Cetara as well; prices there are much lower than those in the more famous towns... The more I think about this, ,the more I wonder if I could do the someday!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 01:26 AM

Yes, Minori is beautiful, small and unspoiled… with fiery limoncello and melt in the mouth pastries at Salmde Riso, and the Path of the Lemons to walk off the calories! The driver who picked us up from Naples airport and later dropped us in Naples Centro Storico was from Minori and kept telling us how much better it was than Atrani, where we were staying. Cetara too is another little gem, without hordes of tourists.

But I still feel Atrani has the best location, with its proximity to Amalfi. The SITA buses are quite often packed and don’t stop at the smaller towns, unless someone is getting off. We watched two buses whiz past when we wanted to go to Ravello, then walked across to Amalfi to get a bus. Needless to say neither did this one stop at Atrani, though on the return we were able to get off and go across the road to get home.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I'm not sure you are going to hear many waves on that coast....I've never seen big waves.
You know, for a month, if you give up the waves, maybe Sorrento would be good.
I was going to say the same thing. The Mediterranean is not an ocean, it's a sea. For the most part, it's pretty quiet. Think waves like those of Lake Michigan.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Your right, I am thinking of the Lake Michigan waves.....
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 09:00 PM

Renting a home along the Amalfi Coast for a month sounds wonderful! For easy access and a view of the ocean, consider towns like Positano, Amalfi, or Maiori. These towns offer beachfront properties with stunning views and are relatively accessible. Look for accommodations with amenities like elevators or ground-floor options to minimize stairs. Don't forget to check reviews for noise levels to ensure a peaceful sleep by the ocean. Enjoy your stay!

Old Apr 19th, 2024, 09:55 AM

OP, Maiori would be considerably less expensive to rent in. We met a well-known American college soccer coach who'd retired to spend his winters in that area. He claimed to have found a rental that was 60% cheaper than the rates in more popular towns along that coast. Maiori has 2 sizable supermarkets, a decent lungomare, friendly residents and good SITA bus connections going both ways. FWIW, it is the southern terminus for the Path of Lemons trail.

I am done. the lemon