Search

Day Trips from Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2024, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Dublin

Hi Fodorites,
I will be chaperoning a trip of 6-college aged girls and 2 adults to Dublin to attend a conference in late July 2024. We have time for a day trip outside the city. Should we do Cliffs of Moher and Galway, just Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Castle, or Giant's Causeway (other suggestions appreciated)? Does anyone have recommendations for tour operators?

We also have one full day for Dublin. What would you suggest as a one-day itinerary for the city?
Since our free time is limited, we need to have a plan. I appreciate your help! Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 11:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
With just the one day I personally wouldn't ever consider a day trip all the way to the west coast. Just Dublin > Cliffs o M > Dublin is over 300 miles and would take 6-7 hours just for the R-T drive without any stops.

There are great day trips quite near Dublin . . . Howth is less than 1/2 an hour by train; Kilkenny is about 1.5 hours by car and a bit more by bus; Glendalough is an easy day trip; Newgrange is about 30 miles north of Dublin.

There will be local tours to each of these places (though you definitely wouldn't need a tour for Howth)
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 11:24 AM
P_M

The Cliffs of Moher and the Giant's Causeway were both wonderful, but a bit far for a day trip. I'm sure it can be done but it would be a very long day. I kissed the Blarney Stone and it was not a good experience as lines were extremely long. All of these places would be about a 3 hour drive each way from Dublin.

A much closer alternative would be Powerscourt House and Gardens. It's only about an hour outside of Dublin and I think it would be a much better use of your time.

Old Apr 4th, 2024, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! The tour operators tout these as day trips but college students do not want to be on a bus all day! All suggestions are appreciated!
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 01:18 PM

I’d vote for Belfast - warn your group that they’d now be in UK and not Ireland.
As much as I loved Giants Causeway, that would be a bit much for a day trip.
The Titanic Belfast exhibition is fabulous and you could arrange a tour of the “troubled” area - fences + wall murals.
If any of your students like history, they should be thrilled.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I just looked at Howth and it looks like a nice option. Any suggestions on must sees?
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 02:02 PM

Newgrange and the Boyne valley would make for a great day trip from Dublin, Newgrange is from before 3000BC, older than the pyramids and will surely be of great interest to the young girls. Several other early Christian sites in the Boyne valley, with high crosses and superb examples of Celtic art.

Glendalough and the Wicklow mountains are beautiful, as is Powescott with its lovely gardens. Howth is another option, though I haven’t been there myself.

In Dublin itself Trinity College and the Book of Kells would be my top choice. Also Kilmainham Gaol, a good place to try and understand Irish history and the tragic consequences of resistance to English rule, I found the whole visit extremely moving.
Old May 1st, 2024, 01:13 PM

I definitely think that going to the Cliffs, Giant's Causeway, Belfast etc is far too much for a one day trip especially with the group of kids.

You might want to check out nearby little towns that are still in Dublin county but not in the city. Howth was lovely and has a cliff walk or you can take a boat ride to Ireland's Eye. You can also go to Bray or Greystones. I wouldn't venture much further than that. It kept my husband and I entertained anyway!