Overnight Sleeper Train From Zurich To Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to find the best website to book a private sleeping berth with en suite bathroom on the overnight train from Zurich to Prague. And when will this train become available for booking in early September? I’ve tried to figure this out on my own and have received several conflicting answers. I know there are only a handful of these deluxe berths available on the overnight train. I’d like to be prepared. Thank you!
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:26 AM
J62

The best website to book a train from Switzerland is the Swiss RR website. sbb.ch/en
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:47 AM

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...e-by-train.htm

Tells you everything you need to know, including where to book tickets.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 05:50 AM

Might be better to go straight to the source and check directly with NightJet -- they have contact info here: https://www.oebb.at/en/reiseplanung-...ice/callcenter (for phone inquiries and yes, they speak English) or https://www.oebb.at/en/reiseplanung-...emeine-anfrage (to send a query about booking tickets using the online form)

Personally, having made trips from Basel to Prague, Berlin and Dresden a few times, I'd rather take a day train and enjoy the scenery. Yes, it is a long ride with at least one change, but it's pleasant in the first class quiet car.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I’ll check out that website. I did get a lot of info on the ‘seat61’ website. Still trying to figure out what date I should book to make sure I get the accommodation I want. And I will be taking a daytime train from Geneva to Zürich and I’m looking forward to all the scenery on that route.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 10:09 AM

If you call the number (or fill out their contact form), tell them your planned travel date and ask what is the earliest date you can book your ticket.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

WeisserTee, I tried that and they never replied.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 03:21 AM

We took the NightJet from Italy to Vienna (round trip). On the way out we booked an entire couchette cabin, because we could have had two lower bunks. On the way back we booked a private bunk bed cabin. (This was actually a bit cheaper, because you're paying for four beds in the couchette cabin.

In spite of the fact that one of us (guess who) had to scramble up to the upper bunk, the private cabin was a vastly superior experience, both for comfort and service.

The ride was smooth and quiet. During the night they didn't announce stops. I can recommend it.
​​​​
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I’m definitely getting a private cabin with private toilet if I can.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by seeksocean
WeisserTee, I tried that and they never replied.
They were prompt in responding to my requests. At any rate, according to the nightjet site info, you can book tickets up to 180 days in advance. The private compartments with toilets tend to go quickly.
https://www.nightjet.com/en/buchung/...parture%20date.

Most of my overnight trains went smoothly, although on one train from Germany to Milan, I arrived in my compartment to see two berths made up for occupants. I put my purse down on the top one and the train attendant scolded me sharply, saying a woman would be joining me at 1 am. I told him I had booked the compartment for my sole use. He looked skeptical, asked to see my ticket again, then said bluntly: Oh, you are right.
Then stalked off down the corridor. No apology. If I had not put my bag on the upper berth, he would have brought that other woman into the compartment.

Last edited by WeisserTee; Apr 4th, 2024 at 07:23 AM.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I’ll try this.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

I went to that site and got all the way to the day and hour that the train leaves and nothing was available in any sleeper level of service. I wonder if that’s because it’s not eligible yet for purchase? Or is it sold out? This is really confusing… This has not been easy.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help! I found the info.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I guess the question is now which of these trains are a better option? They leave about an hour apart. I guess I have some time now to ponder this.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by seeksocean
I went to that site and got all the way to the day and hour that the train leaves and nothing was available in any sleeper level of service. I wonder if that’s because it’s not eligible yet for purchase? Or is it sold out? This is really confusing… This has not been easy.
The NightJet train we took from Italy to Vienna had no private cabins available with a toilet. I don't know if they were already booked or if that particular train had none. Our cabin had a washbasin, and we used the toilet in the corridor.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

This train line has 3 cabins (berths?) with private toilet in the sleeper car.