Balsamic or Parmesan producer tour near Modena/ Parma/ Bologna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations or experience going to a caseificio for Parmesan or acetaia around Modena or Bologna? Family interested in seeing the process, not just buying samples in the shop. We will have a car.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by alfredo069
Any recommendations or experience going to a caseificio for Parmesan or acetaia around Modena or Bologna? Family interested in seeing the process, not just buying samples in the shop. We will have a car.
This consortium produces Parmigiano Reggiano from the ancient race of red cows native to the Emilia Reggiano region. They have tours (which I've never taken) and they sell their products.

https://www.consorziovaccherosse.it/.../guided-tours/

Never call it "parmesan" in Italy. They consider that an American name for fake Parmigiano Reggiano!

For balsamic vinegar, if you want the authentic traditional kind, you want "aceta balsamica tradizionale" (ABT). Anything else is not the real thing. By law it can contain as much as 80% normal vinegar. They add grape must to sweeten it a bit and caramel colour.

The real thing has to be aged from 12 to 25 years, in a series of barrels of specific woods. It's very expensive. A very small bottle would cost well over €50. You probably wouldn't see much on a tour, just barrels of vinegar aging slowly.

This seems to be a reliable producer which has tours.

https://www.acetaiamalpighi.it/en/

Last edited by bvlenci; Mar 25th, 2024 at 04:46 AM.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 05:44 AM

That should be "aceto balsamico". I didn't catch it in time to edit.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by bvlenci

..... I want to rewrite this whole section. I was writing it in the car (not while driving!!!) and missed a big typo. Plus it doesn't seem clear to me.
"For balsamic vinegar, if you want the authentic traditional kind, you want "aceto balsamico tradizionale" (ABT). Anything else is not the real thing. It may have the IGP designation, and say "di Modena", but in the case of aceto balsamico, the rules are very lenient. By law it can contain as much as 80% normal vinegar. They can add caramel colour and grape must to sweeten it a bit. The grapes can come from other regions. You can

The real thing has to be aged from 12 to 25 years, in a series of barrels of specific woods. The grapes have to come from a restricted area, and there can be no additives. It's very expensive. A very small bottle would cost well over €50. You probably wouldn't see much on a tour, just barrels of vinegar aging slowly.

It's quite a spectacular condiment, and as long as you're paying a high price, I would go for broke and get the best, aged 25 years. You only need a few drops at a time. It's nothing at all like the "aceto balsamico di Modena" you usually see in gourmet stores, or even in supermarkets. Of course you wouldn't want to buy this as a souvenir for friends at home, unless they're very dear friends.

This seems to be a reliable producer which has tours.

https://www.acetaiamalpighi.it/en/"

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 09:54 AM

In Modena itself I highly recommend a visit to the Giuseppe Giusti museum and store in the center of town. This company dates back to 1605 and is, at least to my knowledge the oldest Balsamic vinegar house. We were cordially received and the salesperson took all the time necessary to help us with our (extensive) order. Not sure if you can actually witness the process of vinegar making though.

https://giusti.com/pages/casa-giusti

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

@bvlenci: Si, conosco il Parmigiano Reggiano e aceto balsamico. There are a number or caseifici mentioned on Trip Advisor. Giorgio Cravero is very well known (Zingerman's, as well as other great cheesemongers), but that is in Bra, too far from where we will be. There is Caseficio Sociale San Pietro just South of Sassuolo, but it looks more like a shop, rather than a great experience. C. Bio Reggiani in Recovato looks nice. Sounds like one can see the cheese being made if take the early tour.

Acetaia Giusti and Acetaia di Giorgio in Modena look fantastic, very traditional, in Modena.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with others, or had been to these places. Thanks Elizabeth54. Wonder if any of the acetaie allow any viewing of the process involved.

Alfredo
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 02:02 PM

I looked at Acetaia Giusti. They are selling Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP, which as I explained above, is not the traditional aceto balsamico, which is designated Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale (ABT) di Modena.The Giusti aceto balsamico is a mixture of grape must and aged vinegar, although it doesn't say how long the vinegar was aged, or what the percentage of must is. It does say the vinegar (before mixing with must) was aged in French barrels. The must can come from anywhere in the world. You can even find IGP vinegar in supermarkets. The price is about 10% of the price of traditional aceto balsamico ABT. In gourmet food shops they sell high-quality IGP vinegars, but the traditional aceto balsamico (which is actually considered a condiment, not a vinegar) is usually kept under lock and key. If I remember correctly, the Malpighi ABT costs €70 for 100ml (the maximum size of carry-on liquids).

The IGP designation was established after a long battle over who got to use the name aceto balsamico. If €70 seems a tad steep, you can buy the IGP stuff, but, believe me, the difference is day and night. And certainly the tour of the Malpighi acetaea would be a lot more interesting. You would at least see and hear explained the series of barrels of different types of wood and sizes where the aging takes place.