Hotel recommendation for Kusadasi or Ephesus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2024, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying return for 3 nights from Istanbul to Izir and we are looking for a hotel (not air b & b) - would appreciate any recomendations please - our dates are 1st to 4th April.

Thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 07:31 AM

If you have a car you could stay at this hotel. It was fine except for the particularity described in this paragraph.

The airport is south of Izmir and driving to Selçuk was very easy. We stopped turned off a side street and came upon the first hotel recommended by Fodors'--Hotel Akay (Hotel Akay Ephesus Selcuk) with Internet access in the lobby--$236 for 3 nights. We asked for a room, got a price and took it. It was more expensive than I recalled, until I read back in the Fodors' and discovered that we were in the new and higher priced section. There was nothing wrong with the room except for one thing that I pointed out to the owner. As an American (perhaps Europeans don't feel the same way), I am in the habit of locking my hotel room door from the inside. This room used the plastic card to turn on the electricity (a pain to separate key and plastic card) so that either the electricity was on or the room was locked but not both. It might have been possible to lock the door, remove the key to turn on the electricity (assuming one has a flashlight--which we did), but in an emergency, it would have been difficult without a flashlight to grab the key and look for the lock in total darkness to open the door. In other words the room was lacking a manual latch. We later discovered that perhaps we should have stayed at the other recommended hotel across from the ruins of St. John's Basilica and midway between our hotel and the center of town--the host appeared friendlier. Breakfast was the standard buffet: coffee or tea, hard-boiled eggs, cubes of Feta-like cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, yogurt, fruit drink and bread. I took tea because the coffee is normally Nescafe--a few places accepted Turkish coffee as a substitute, others charged extra for Turkish coffee.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael, no, I won't hav a car
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning to stay in Ephesus and have been looking at the Akanthus Hotel nearby, but I see that it is 60km away from Izmir Airport. Is there public transport available from Izmir airport to Ephesus, given that Ephesus is the main attraction one comes to in the area?
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 04:13 PM

There probably exists public transportation from Izmir to Selchuk. From there you can take a taxi to Ephesus.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 23rd, 2024 at 04:15 PM.