Looking for a small town w/in 1 or 2 hours of Tokyo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very broad question...I've been to Japan many times, but not in the last 4 years, so have kind of lost my travel mojo. My DH and I loved places like Fukuoka and Kurosawa Onsen in Kyushu, Kinosaki, Takayama, and Matsumoto in Honshu. We plan to go to Japan in April or early May for maybe 5 or 6 nights, and would like to limit the travel to less than 2 hours from Tokyo (by any combination of air, train and (short) bus ride). I've looked at Hirosaki, Gunma and a few other towns. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
We will probably stay in a ryokan for two nights in one town and 3 or 4 nights in another, then will stay in Narita or Tokyo the night before our flight. Totally flexible at this time. We like to wander, eat, view pretty scenery and soak. Quirky museums, ropeways and similar are fun. No real hiking or bicycling this time, I'm still recovering from two broken legs this year, so not up for much off-road!
Throw out anyplace... I am truly frozen when it comes to serious research!
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you end up staying at Narita, the MyStays Premier Hotel is reasonable and has a sento. We’re looking at doing an overnight next January on a layover.

Naritasan temple is worth a visit and the Omotesando leading up to it is interesting. ​​​If you like unagi, Kawatoya Honten along the walk is a great stop. They have large charcoal grills out front and the smell is intoxicating drawing in customers. They kill, prep and grill the eels only after you order so it does take awhile.

If you have time Sawara about 30 minutes away by metro has an old Edo feel to it. Two broken legs, yikes! Hope you are fully recovered by trip time.