Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to book inns, farm stays or classic bed & breakfast in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2023, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I wonder how can one book a farm stay, or something like a guest house/airbnb with other guests.
I tried Airbnb but over there it's often the case that you're the sole guest and I have my reservations about being all alone or sharing a house or apartments with a family/host without any fellow guests.

I guess I'm looking for guesthouses, inns, a small family b&b houses, farm stays or mountain chalets where there are other guests staying at the same time.
It's more lively and to me seems a tad safer to be in a place where you're not the only guest but at the same time I'm looking for this home-like atmosphere you can't get at a typical hotel.
Is there a website or an app that's like Airbnb but for places like that?

I've seen some German movies where chalet or Alpine houses serve as B&B/family hotels so they must exist I guess but I rarely find anything like that, they usually offer the whole house for rent on Airbnb. Is the booking of such properties usually done in person? Maybe I can just walk into a B&B and reserve directly?
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 07:24 AM
Forum Moderator

moved to the Europe Forum
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 07:32 AM

If you go to booking.com you can select the option 'Bed and Breakfast'. Small hotels and B&B's are on booking sites too.
Which country are you going to? Some have their own organisations, such as Gites de France.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 07:42 AM

You can use these two sites:

https://www.gites-de-france.com/fr

Bed and breakfast, cottage and holiday rental in France
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Booking.com also has search categories for farm stays, guest houses, hostels and even homestays. The number of results will vary depending on country and region. And there is a wide range of accommodations (and rates) in these categories, so you'll need to do a lot of clicking to find a match to your preferences and budget although Booking does let you filter for some needs/requirements.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 08:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you'll also find google maps will light up little red dots if you search for b&b
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi, generally interested in Eastern Austria, Slovenia or thereabout. The thing with booking.com is those options show offerings to rent the whole far/house for me or my family. I guess in that case I will look at chalets that work as inns or guesthouses.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tanek
Hi, generally interested in Eastern Austria, Slovenia or thereabout. The thing with booking.com is those options show offerings to rent the whole far/house for me or my family. I guess in that case I will look at chalets that work as inns or guesthouses.

That depends how you filter your search. Many B&B's, inns, small hotels, etc are listed
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:23 PM

Localize your search by Austrian province: Lower Austria and Burgenland for the eastern part of Austria. Just Googling "accommodations in Burgenland" will give you a variety of options.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:25 PM

For Austria this site might be helpful:

https://www.landhotels.at/en/

Lavandula
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 06:08 PM

In looking for a B&B skip the "air"part. In Europe we mostly stay in B&Bs and never have a problem finding one. We just search B&B in the area in which we are interested. We enjoy the homelike atmosphere of B&Bs and enjoy the interaction with hosts and other guests.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will look them up!
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 11:19 AM

France has the most extensive, government supported system for gites and you already have that link upthread. There is also https://www.bienvenue-a-la-ferme.com/

The French program has been copied elsewhere, and there used to be a website called Eurogites which provided links for many countries. I am not sure if that site is maintained any more. Also, I have stayed on a small farm in Poland. I have seen extensive website listings for Andalusia as well as the Canary Islands.

You can find many variations of Agritourism by looking on Google Maps.
Aside from that, web searches for agritourism or gites plus the country or region you'd like to visit will get you some results. The official government-supported programs are quite the bargain, but if you look up holiday rentals you'll be paying full price (though you might have more choice).
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 11:16 AM

For German countries URLAUB AUF DEM BAUERNHOF
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Here is the Euro site to visit:

https://www.ruraltour.eu/

And there are a few links here:

Eurogites quality
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 12:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelemm
France has the most extensive, government supported system for gites and you already have that link upthread. There is also https://www.bienvenue-a-la-ferme.com/

The French program has been copied elsewhere, and there used to be a website called Eurogites which provided links for many countries. I am not sure if that site is maintained any more. Also, I have stayed on a small farm in Poland. I have seen extensive website listings for Andalusia as well as the Canary Islands.

You can find many variations of Agritourism by looking on Google Maps.
Aside from that, web searches for agritourism or gites plus the country or region you'd like to visit will get you some results. The official government-supported programs are quite the bargain, but if you look up holiday rentals you'll be paying full price (though you might have more choice).
see also agriturismo
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 07:34 AM

It could be worth looking for the "official" websites for the tourism authorities in areas you're interested in - they should have links to local accommodation at all levels.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bnb offers some excellent accomodation. In fact, just last night, I was talking to a woman who lives on a farm and rents out her upper apartment as a BnB. I would highly recommend that place (See Steinen, Switzerland).