South Island, Newzealand Itinerary road trip for 10 days- 2 couples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 couples 58 to 62 years old from India on a road trip to the South Island in February 24. I need itinerary suggestions
Day 1 6th Feb 24
Land at Queenstown from Sydney at 11.30 am
Pick up a Toyota Rav4 from the airport. Drive 2 hours to Te Anau. Relax and explore the town (3N)
Day 2- Drive 2.5 hours to Milford Sound. Take a 3 hours cruise and back
Day 3- Te Anau and around. Suggestions please

Day 4- Drive 5 hours to Twizel (2 N)
Explore Lake Tekapo and around.

Day 5- Twizel to Mount Cook and Lake Pukaki and back

Day 6- Twizel - 2 hours drive to Wanaka (2N)
wanaka and around

Day 7- Wanaka .. Suggestions please

Day 7,8,9- Drive 1 hour to Queenstown(3N- 4 days)
itinerary suggestions please

Day 10- checkout in the morning.. while away time till evening 5.30 pm. Flight to Melbourne at 8.30 pm.
itinerary suggestions for this day. Our Car rental gets over at 1.30 pm. We can pay for an extra day for 4 hours if needed.
Please suggest

We are healthy people but not into adventure sports or hiking. Would like to avoid Christchurch as it's a big city.
we like nature.
Also suggest where we can see Maori dance and culture o our route.
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 02:44 PM

Please keep in mind the drive from Te Anau to Twizel will be full of twists and turns. You'll drive through a section of road known as The Devil's Staircase, then Kawarau Gorge, then Lindis Pass. So you might want to take a break in-between, maybe in Kawarau Gorge or in Cromwell, which is known for its fruit stand and wineries (though I would suggest your designated driver abstain from drinking if you choose to visit the wineries).
If you base yourself in Twizel, you'll also have a 45/50 minute drive each way to Lake Tekapo or Mt. Cook (excluding scenic stops).
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Diamantina;17517591]Please keep in mind the drive from Te Anau to Twizel will be full of twists and turns. You'll drive through a section of road known as The Devil's Staircase, then Kawarau Gorge, then Lindis Pass.

Thanks for the reply. I shall keep that in mind. I kniw it will be a long drive. Any suggestions on the days spent at each destination. I am not understanding if this is ok. Do I need to alter
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 03:42 AM

Sorry, I just spent about an hour writing a description of things you can do in Queenstown, Te Anau, Tekapo, Aoraki Mt. Cook, and Twizel with many links and it all just disappeared! If someone doesn't reply sooner, I'll try posting again soon.
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dear
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 03:21 PM

I think this is more or less what I wrote last night, though it lacks the links to websites. I think I spent more time re-writing this (my arthritic fingers will be aching tonight).

Just letting you know, Feb. 6 is a national holiday.

Will you be spending time in Sydney before flying to NZ? Or will you just be connecting in Sydney? In other words, will you be jet-lagged?

Please read magsrose's trip report, especially post #16. I think you might enjoy some of the Queenstown activities she described, such as a walk through the Botanic Garden and a TSS Earnslaw cruise to Walter Peak High Country Farm.

Additionally, you'd probably enjoy the Queenstown Skyline Gondola, and drives to Arrowtown (a Queenstown suburb which used to be a gold mining town and still has many of the historic buildings) and on the scenic road to beautiful Glenorchy (but don't visit both Arrowtown and Glenorchy on the same day). If you'd like to see some rare birds, Queenstown also has a Kiwi Park.

The Skyline Gondola used to offer Maori performances, but it seems they no longer do.

You said no hiking, how about some easy walks on well-formed, mostly flat or gently climbing paths? Because sometimes to better appreciate nature, it's best to experience the forests or wetlands or to hear the birds sing. Look at these catagories of walks. If you are healthy, those listed "easiest" and "easy" might appeal. https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...ck-categories/

If an easy walk appeals to you, after you get to Glenorchy, you might want to walk the Glenorchy Lagoon Walkway (but not if it's been raining). You don't have to walk far; you can walk as far as you like and then just turn around. If you drive just a liitle bit beyond Glenorchy, in about 7 minutes, you'll reach the Rees River Bridge Viewpoint beside this one-lane bridge. Drive beyond this, though, you might come across some unpaved roads (some rental car companies prohibit driving on unpaved roads).

You said no "adventure sports". How about taking a jet boat ride? This is another more exciting attraction that many do while in Queenstown. You just sit in a boat that motors fast along a scenic river, which skims along the top of the water and does thrilling spins. It's not for those with a fear of water or fast boat rides.

Te Anau is the gateway for Milford Road that goes to Milford Sound. It's also close to the start of many multi-day walking tracks. Many also do scenic flights over Fiordland from Te Anau. If you won't be hiking or taking a scenic flight, maybe two days and nights might be sufficient for Te Anau. This way you can spend another day in one of your other destinations. On your first day in Te Anau, you might want to walk along the lake to the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary. Or consider a tour to the Glowworm Caves.

Is there a reason that you are staying in Twizel and not Lake Tekapo or Aoraki Mt. Cook? Because this would save you some time driving back and forth.

In Tekapo, drive up to Mt. John's Astro Cafe ($8 road user fee). (Hikers also have the option of walking up for free, but this would not be an option for you.). Other attractions include the Working Dog Statue, Church of the Good Shepherd, Tekapo Hot Springs (in winter, it offers an ice rink) and Night Sky Tours from St. John Observatory. Tekapo, Aoraki Mt. Cook and Twizel are all part of an International Dark Sky Reserve. On clear nights, when the moon is not too full, the stargazing is considered world-class.

Please be aware that the weather in Aoraki Mt. Cook is highly unpredictable and can change quickly.

Twizel was built in 1968 to house workers for the Upper Waitaki hydroelectricity scheme (there are many nearby hydroelectricity canals) The town has grown a lot since then. You might want to visit nearby High Country Salmon Farm, a 5-minute drive south of Twizel.

Just FYI, you're right, Christchurch is a city (NZ's 3rd largest), but the village of Akaroa (on the Banks Peninsula), which sits on scenic Akaroa Harbor, is a pleasant alternative for nature lovers. It's about an hour and a half from Christchurch (or Christchurch Airport), but a fairly long drive from Tekapo (about 4 hours). The road into Akaroa is also winding and narrow.

The drive from Te Anau to Twizel is lovely. but not only long but also demanding. This video will give you a little taste of what this drive will be like:

Cromwell would be a nice spot for a short break. The fruit stands here wiil be offering apricots, peaches, nectarines and more. You might even find a few cherries! (Most are exported.) As I previously mentioned, Cromwell is also home to many wineries. On Sundays, the town holds a small Farmers Market in its small Old Town.
https://centralotagonz.com/explore/l...d-craft-market
If you plan on making your own meals whilee in Twizel and if you'll be needing special ingredients, I would suggest stopping into Cromwell's New World, but don't buy anything that can spoil if sitting in a warm car. Otherwise, Twizel has a well-stocked Four Square Market.
https://www.mackenzienz.com/visit/fo...are-mackenzie/

Queenstown has a Farmers Market as well, on Saturdays. It's a large one.
https://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/stori...kables-market/

Last edited by Diamantina; Dec 14th, 2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 01:46 PM

You hadn't mentioned wine or wineries, but there will be some excellent wineries along your route. Wanaka's Rippon Winery has tremendous views. You will also find many lovely wineries in Gibbston Valley and in Bannockburn, which is only a 6 minute drive from Cromwell. Near Queenstown, Amisfield Winery is also very much worth a visit.

Please be aware that Queenstown itself is quite a busy town, more so in February, which is high season. Chinese New Year/Spring Festival also takes place in February. Chinese tourists (from China) are beginnning to return to NZ, but not yet in numbers comparable to pre-Covid levels.

Here is the link for the Glenorchy Walkway.
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Diamantina, that's quite a thoughtful effort from you to write all that, not once but twice. Thanks a ton. This gives a better understanding than any YouTube video or travel book.
Am keeping this printout with me as a guide.

We are in Sydney for 4 days before we fly into Queenstown and reach by 11.30 am. Planning to pick up a Toyota RAV4 (a friend advised us to stick to SUv) and drive to Te Anau to reach by early evening.
We are ok with walking or uphill pleasant walk for 2 hours or so. I watched the video of high speed boat at Queenstown. It is quite an adrenaline rush. We may not want to do that.
Wineries and breweries and Beer pubs are surely a big draw for us.
Twizel location is because I couldn't find apartments near the lakes on Booking.com. We can do 2 day trips from there to Mount Cook and Tekapo. It's cost effective too.

My question is,
How to divide time between Wanaka(2N) and Queenstown(3N-4D)? To reach airport by 5pm.

Should We make it 3N at Wanaka with a day trip to Franz Joseph? And 2n plus half a day at Queenstown ?

please suggest.

Thanks again for a detailed advice. It just shows your passion and a strong will to help.

Old Dec 24th, 2023, 04:24 AM

I'm very glad you'll be spending some time in Sydney before flying to Queenstown.

The days are long at the beginning of February. The sun will rise before 7 a.m. and set a little after 8 p.m., so you can make the most of your days and enjoy lots of time to explore.

As the days are long, you can, if you set off early, drive from Twizel to Tekapo and then visit Aoraki Mt. Cook on the way back. Just take your time. In Aoraki Mt. Cook, the Hooker Valley walk
is beautiful, easy and extremely popular. It sounds like you wouldn't want to do the entire walk, because, if you were to walk all the way from the parking lot (at White Horse Hill campground) to the glacier lake and back, it would take 3 hours (or less). But, if the weather is fine, I think you'd enjoy even part of this walk Maybe go as far as the first swing bridge and then turn back. I'm sorry I can't remember how long that would take, but someone at the visitor centre in Aoraki Mt. Cook village should be able to tell you..Bring water with you.

Franz Josef would be an interesting addition to your trip, but you can't comfortably do this as a day trip. At the minimum, you should spend the night, even then, you might feel rushed. The drive from Wanaka to FJ takes around four hours in ideal conditions with no stops along the way. In other words, it will take much longer as you will want to stop. The drive out of Wanaka on SH6 along the shorelines of Lakes Hawea and Wanaka is spectacular. To be fair, you must stop at the Lakes Hawea and Wanaka lookouts so your designated driver can also get a chance to also fully appreciate the views. There are also places to stop as you drive through Mt. Aspiring National Park/Haast Pass, such as the Blue Pools (check to see that it is open, as the bridges are being repaired) and several waterfalls--to name a few. Have a look at this brochure under "Short walks Haast Highway (SH6)". Along the West Coast, you will want to stop at Knights Point Lookout for a West Coast view. The Lake Matheson walk is a must-do for fhose passing through Fox Glacier township (unless it's super-foggy or raining). The drive from the Fox Glacier township to the Lake Matheson parking lot takes about 5 minutes. From the Lake Matheson parking lot to the lake viewpoint and back is a 4.4 km loop. If you decide to include a night in Franz Josef, you might want to do this walk the next morning after you depart from FJ to Queenstown.
More about Lake Matheson https://www.newzealand.com/us/feature/lake-matheson/

Personally, I would not want to drive to FJ for one night and then turn around and drive to Queenstown the next day. But I do understand how you mght feel like you'd be missing a major attraction. Please note on the West Coast, sandflies can be a nuisance..

Wanaka is not as busy or as commercial as Queenstown. Queenstown is a busy resort town, with many shops, restaurants, hotels, tour desks and so on. However, the surrounding landscape is beautiful. The drive along Lake Wakitipu to Glenorchy is stunning. Then there are all those attractions I mentioned in my prervious posts (Arrowtown, Gibbston wine region, Botanic Garden, Skyline Gondola, TSS Earnslaw cruise to Walter Peak High Country Farm)..I would say Queenstown would offer you more of interest, given that you are a first-time visitor..
Of course, Wanaka is also beautiful and also bound to be busy in February, though not as busy as Queenstown.

Maybe these changes to your itinerary?
1 Drive to Te Anau
2 Te Anau Day trip on Milford Road to Milford Sound, take cruise and drive back, make scenic stops on the way back. Try to get to Milford Sound in time for an early morning cruise..
See the Dept. of Conservation tips for driving Milford Road.
3 Drive to Twizel Maybe along the way stop at a couple of wineries in Bannockburn? There are so many wonderful wineries here. Mt. Difficulty Winery has a good view from its restaurant.
4 Twizel Drive to Tekapo, see Tekapo, Maybe visit Aoraki Mt, Cook on the way back.
5 Wanaka
6 Wanaka
7 FJ. or Queenstown
8 QT
9 QT
10 QT

Last edited by Diamantina; Dec 24th, 2023 at 04:39 AM.
Old Dec 24th, 2023, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for a prompt reply dear.
After reading your detailed reply, I think we will skip drive to FJ. The reason why we chose to visit only the South Island is that we dont want a fast oaced trip and its better to spend a relaxed 10 days itinerary, with optional day trips and activities.
3. 5 days at Queenstown look justified after what you have written.
I liked places around Te Anau. Would like 3 n and 2.5 days.

Yes, longer daylight will be a boon and is a reason to chose this month.

i am tempted to spend 6th Feb or atleast a part of itbin Queenstown to witness some celebrations of the Waitangi Day. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

This can be a surprise package for us. Thanks for the information.
We loved being a part of the local celebrations on our earlier trips like 4th July in Washington, 1st July in Toronto, Scarlet Sails and White nights in St. Petersburg, Russia, Octoberfest opening day in Munich.
Thanks again
Old Dec 24th, 2023, 02:36 PM

There will be a Waitangi Day celebration in Earnslaw Park down by Queenstown's lakefront, but you might miss the opening ceremony (pōwhiri) as the event starts at 11 a.m. NZ's biggest celebration/commemoration ceremony will be on the Waitiangi Treaty Grounds in the Bay of Islands. Just FYI: On the South island, the Ngāi Tahu (the iwi of the South Island) usually hold their annual Waitangi Day celebration on a marae in Dunedin, Bluff or on the Banks Peninsula.. I believe this year's largest South Island celebration will be in Okains Bay on the Banks Peninsula. Queenstown hosted the Waitangi Day celebration for the fist time in 2019.

Last edited by Diamantina; Dec 24th, 2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old Dec 24th, 2023, 06:06 PM

To be honest, i don't think the Waitangi Day celebration will measure up to July 4th Washington D.C., St. Petersburg's White Nights, or Octoberfest in Munich! If you were staying in Bay of Islands on Feb. 6, I would encourage you to try and make it to Waitangi Treaty Grounds on Waitangi Day--because that's what I would do if I were staying in the Bay of Islands on Waitangi Day. But only you can decide whether it would be worth your precious time to drive down to Queenstown's busy waterfront, then find parking to enjoy a local Waitangi Day celebration. If you were staying in a Queenstown hotel and didn't have to bother with driving in or parking, then maybe it would be worth checking it out..Te Matatini, a Maori cultural festival that features the finest Maori performing arts groups (Kapa Haka) from around NZ, held at the end of Feb. in a different city every other year, would probably more along the lines of what you'd hope to see. It was in Christchurch last year and it will be in Taranaki next year.

I think you've made a wise choice to skip FJ on this short trip. You can still do part of this drive during your time in Wanaka. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but Wanaka has a few breweries and taprooms. Also, you might be interested in Cardona Distillery on Cardrona Road. The Wanaka Lavender Farm might also interest you. I've not visited these places, though I don't know why I haven't visited the lavender farm as I love the scent of lavender. There's also a larger lavender farm near Lake Pukaki.

Last edited by Diamantina; Dec 24th, 2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Diamantina, I don't know if you know how precious your advice is for a person like me. It means a lot. I live and work to travel and explore. I just do my work as an architect in between 2 trips and that period I use to research and plan.
I have missed the Lavender Bloom in Provence, France only by 15 days, despite being on a road trip in France for 7 weeks, as my daughter's colleges were starting.
Lavender Farms would be very exciting.
I confess that I didn't do much research on Newzealand as it's always ancient culture, architecture and civilizations that has fascinated me. Only scenic beauty doesn't give me a lot of excitement. I have heard great reviews about Newzealand from all the well traveled friends.
Am really looking forward to this holiday.
Incidentally, it's also would be my country number 50.
Thanks a ton again
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 04:14 PM

I have been following along on this thread as we have a trip planned for Australia and New Zealand for October/November 2024. Will hopefully start making reservations next week. I just want to thank Diamantina for all of her helpful information and videos. We will be at Aoraki/Mt. Cook and hope to do the Hooker Valley Track so watching the video is very helpful. We are in our 70's and not able to do a lot of uphill walking/hiking but the Hooker Valley Track looks doable, and as you say, we could only do part of it if we get tired. We will also be staying in Queenstown, Te Anau, and Wanaka, and driving the Devil's Staircase so I really, really appreciate all your information.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 01:14 AM

Thanks, pragkask, this is a nice thing to hear. I'm happy to share the few tips I can offer. I wish others could have added some variety with their advice and opinions, but perhaps other regular contributors to the Australia and NZ forum are currently traveling. But you can still find their previous posts through forum searches.

I admire your travel style--and your profession (as I often enjoy viewing and touring architecture--from ancient to contemporary--on my journeys).

You might want to check the weather forecast on Metservice before you head out each morning, just so you'll know what to expect. It's very likely to be warm, sunny and dry during your visit, but the weather in Milford Sound and Aoraki Mt. Cook is unpredictable and can change quickly.

You also might want to check the NZTransport Agency website. It'll tell you of any road closures, maintenance, diversions or accidents that might impact your journey. For instance, three days ago there was a crash on Milford Road. A section of the road was closed for more than six hours, from about 10:50 a.m. to 5 p.m., so people headed to Milford Sound had to wait to get through. Those checking the website would have see an advisory like the one shown in this article (scroll down).

You'll find Milford Road driving tips, as well as road highlights, on the DOC (Dept. of Conservation) website and the NZ Tranport Agency website (scroll down to "Visitor Information"). The general consensus is you should leave Te Anau early enough to take one of the earlier cruises on Milford Sound, which will help you avoid the busiest part of the day.

Congratulations for reaching a travel milestone of visiting your 50th country. I hope this upcoming visit will be a pleasantly memorable one.

Last edited by Diamantina; Jan 10th, 2024 at 01:20 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 03:44 AM

KarenWoo, I just read through your thread and I think you made some positive changes to your itinerary, such as the extra night in Kaiteriteri and switching your stay in Westport to Punakaiki. If you enjoy eating mussels, you might want to stop for lunch in Havelock (the "Greenshell Mussel capital of the world") between Nelson and Picton. You were asking about the walks in Abel Tasman NP. If you look at the Great Walks Abel Tasman brochure and scroll down to to the bottom of Page 3, you'll see an elevation profile for the walks (given in metres)..
Yes, it can be rainy in October/November and can still be cold. There was snow at the end of October this past year. Though it's a nice time for blossoms.

Last edited by Diamantina; Jan 10th, 2024 at 03:51 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Diamantina
KarenWoo, I just read through your thread and I think you made some positive changes to your itinerary, such as the extra night in Kaiteriteri and switching your stay in Westport to Punakaiki. If you enjoy eating mussels, you might want to stop for lunch in Havelock (the "Greenshell Mussel capital of the world") between Nelson and Picton. You were asking about the walks in Abel Tasman NP. If you look at the Great Walks Abel Tasman brochure and scroll down to to the bottom of Page 3, you'll see an elevation profile for the walks (given in metres)..
Yes, it can be rainy in October/November and can still be cold. There was snow at the end of October this past year. Though it's a nice time for blossoms.
Diamantina, I feel bad for hijacking this thread, but I want to thank you for your helpful advice. We love mussels so I will make a note to have lunch in Havelock.

Is it common to get snow in NZ late in October? We will be in Australia for 3 weeks in October, and our plan is to spend the first 3 weeks of November in NZ on the South Island. Everyone has recommended dressing in layers, wearing fleece and water proof jackets, which we have plenty of. Do you think it's necessary to bring a winter jacket? I know I have asked this question before and no one thought it was necessary to bring a winter jacket. When you say temps can still be cold, what degrees are you talking about? 30's, 50's? I realize, of course, that weather is unpredictable, and can change many times in one day.

We got our Australia ETA last week and our NZeTA today, so I am ready to start making reservations! I am very excited!
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 03:20 PM

KarenWoo, I'll post my reply on your thread!
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diamantina
Thanks, pragkash, this is a nice thing to hear. I'm happy to share the few tips I can offer. I hope this upcoming visit will be a pleasantly memorable one.
Diamantina, We are all set to embark on this voyage. Very excited and looking forward to a wonderful holiday, thanks to your rips.
We are flying off to Sydney in 2 days and then to Queenstown.
thanks a ton again
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hope you have a great trip, Paragkash
If we can help you with your Sydney sector & travels beyond, hop onto the Australia Forum & ask away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -