Is no one traveling to China anymore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2024 cruise planned that does end in Tianjin and offers a couple excursions to the Great Wall and Forbidden City. I am quite shocked that in perusing the forums that there are no posts prior to 2020! Obviously there would have been a big drop off for a couple years, but has no travel been resumed? I already figured that we would only "extend" with organized tours rather than traveling on our own as we normally would, but are there any China Tour companies, or any China travel at all, that anyone has lately experienced?
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 05:31 PM

According to news reports, travel opened back up only in April, and there has been a lack of flights. Not sure what the situation is at the moment, but I think it will take some time.
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the flight situation is back to normal yet. However, although I visited China three times some years ago, I have NO plans to revisit at this time. I object to the government's treatment of the Uighurs. I also object to government surveillance. See, for instance, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...d-surveillance Also, it used to be that you could go pretty much where you wanted (aside from Tibet) without reservations, but now you have to have hotel reservations to get a visa.
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 11:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had to show our hotel reservation to get a visa many years ago. We only gave them the first hotel’s name. I am glad we traveled to China three times to different regions. I have no desire to return and wonder what has happened to our wonderful Uighur guide.
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 06:34 PM

Me too, had to only give them the address for where we were staying for our flight into Beijing. Did not have to disclose other places.
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have read online you now need to list all hotels. I haven't checked the actual application form.
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
From what I have read online you now need to list all hotels. I haven't checked the actual application form.
It has always been this way (although requirements vary depending on your passport). By always I mean the last 15 years. Just need to book a refundable hotel in Beijing for the whole trip which you cancel after printing the bookings. Once you get the visa you go wherever you want (except Tibet).
Tourism is slowly picking up as more flights are added (and fares start to come down). nowhere near the pre-covid levels though.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 01:34 AM

I am traveling to China on April 2024 !
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 04:10 PM

My sincere advice is that the number of domestic tourists in China has exploded after the epidemic. If you want to travel to China, please avoid Chinese holidays such as the Spring Festival, October and May.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 02:38 PM

OP: I did a TR from our journey there is 2018 and sent it to you via a PM.

Larry
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread encouraged me to reread my trip report for my first trip to China in 2001. I went to China two more times and am so glad that I did. I couldn’t believe many of the descriptions of China from that first trip. My last trip there was in 2016, so many changes, many from the Olympic preparations for 2008 games in Beijing.
I wish I could feel comfortable traveling there again.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Feb 29th, 2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
This thread encouraged me to reread my trip report for my first trip to China in 2001. I went to China two more times and am so glad that I did. I couldn’t believe many of the descriptions of China from that first trip. My last trip there was in 2016, so many changes, many from the Olympic preparations for 2008 games in Beijing.
I wish I could feel comfortable traveling there again.
2016? This is like a century ago!!! A lot has changed again.