One-night trip to Cleveland, Ohio - trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to helpful advice from Fodors posters we enjoyed our quick visit to Cleveland!
We flew in on a Saturday morning, had a rental car (which is a shuttle ride from the airport), and our hotel was the Glidden House on the campus of Case Western Reserve, maybe a 15-minute drive from the airport. It was a lovely bed and breakfast. We agreed we'd stay there again if we ever returned. The hot buffet breakfast is complimentary, and the hotel is situated in a quiet area very near the Cleveland Art Museum, which was probably my favorite of the places we visited. It's free. Lovely art in a nice, light-filled building. The hotel is also walking distance from an enjoyable French restaurant where we had supper in their outside garden. Restaurant is L'Albatros.

The hotel is around the corner from the school's management building, designed by Frank Geary. Worth a stroll to see it from the outside.

We also went to the old house museum that was the set of some filming of A Christmas Story -- wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for a Fodors poster, I think starrs. They've preserved the house as it was. It's a kitschy experience -- focusing on things like the "fragile" leg lamp, the gift shop sells pink bunny suits, etc., -- but if you know the movie and you're in Cleveland looking for things to do, as we were, we thought "why not"?

We visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, of course, and took in a Guardians baseball game Saturday night, and a Browns football game Sunday afternoon. The weather on a September weekend was lovely.

The only things we didn't get to experience that had been on my "list" were eating pierogis and going to one of the authentic delicatessens. The areas where we found ourselves didn't have that food, and the top delicatessens were closed on the weekend.

We did sit at an outdoor table of a sort of Mexican restaurant downtown after the football game, watching the crowds of Browns fans stream by in their giant plastic orange or gold "neckchains" celebrating their gridiron victory and barking. The restaurant, Agave & Rye, had a delicious taco (why I said "sort of Mexican") that was lobster, truffled mac and cheese and mushrooms. So although I didn't get to eat iconic Cleveland food I did enjoy the meals we had.

Glad we got to see Cleveland -- first time I was in Ohio, which is why we went -- and the thoughts of Fodors posters were very helpful. Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you fit quite a bit in on your weekend! Glad you enjoyed it!
Old Sep 26th, 2023, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the trip report, bakerstreet!

For me also, the art museum is up there as possibly my favourite activity when visiting Cleveland! Only rival for favourite might be strolling through the Lakeview Cemetery with the views of Lake Erie from the James A. Garfield memorial.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 06:49 PM

I don't want to go to any city where the delicatessens are closed on the weekend. What's up with that?
Thanks for the report.