Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maine - Last Minute Oct. South-Mid Coast HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2023, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fellow Travelers,
We've decided to take a last-minute 6-day trip from the West Hartford, Connecticut area to the Maine Coast. I've never been, and I'm trying to plan for the first week of October. The plan is to stay somewhere between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport for the first 2 nights, then maybe a night in Portland, then up to Camden, with possibly a day staying somewhere in between (Bath?). Maybe a stay on an island like Peaks or Plum? I'm not sure if we should try to get all the way to Bar Harbor and Acadia N.P. or not. I've never been to Maine, and I'm hoping to eat my fill of lobster and other seafood, see the beautiful ocean views from beaches and from above. Hike some days, town visits other days. We will get plenty of fall color in Connecticut, so we prefer to stay on the coast this time.
There's so much to see, so many towns to explore that I'm spinning my wheels and looking for guidance! Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 01:24 AM

The bad thing is I95 is a boring ride. From NH we prefer the mid coast area with a lot to see and do. In the future you could do crowded southern ME as a getaway weekend so with six days I'd aim further up. The bad news is some lobster shacks are weekends only and close after Columbus Day. There's still plenty of other places for lobster but if the weather is warm I would go to a shack with picnic tables on the edge of the ocean. So google best lobster rolls then check each website to see when they are open.

The Rockland area gives you other things to do such as Farnsworth At Museum and Owls Head Transportation Museum. The hike out to Owls Head Light is easy but you have to walk up final stairs for view. My favorite view in Maine is top of Mt Battie in Camden. Don't forget binnoculars. I would also look into who is still giving boat rides. The Mail Boat tour of Casco Bay islands doesn't have a lot of narrative but it's a working boat with interesting stops.

there's some easy hiking in Harpswell area. Download their guide to comservation areas. The road out to the area is between Bath and Brunswick. We had a pleasant stay at an air b&b in Brunswick andmjust outside of town heading toward Bath is a good seafood restaurant. But we usually drive around the Harpswells visiting different seafood places. This could take two different days. Another activity is to choose a lighthouse, sit in bag chairs and watch the water.

I would save Acadia for a different trip and plan on several days there. Our son has crossed it off as a place to visit after encountering too many tourists on top of Cadillac. Very different from our visit in 1997 when he was a teen. You might also consider the Boothbay area when Maine Coastal Gardens would provide blooming flowers and a pretty good hike. We got lobster rolls from a take out place and found a tiny island with a picnic area. Can't remember quite where but the fun of visiting mid coast area and north is discovering these kinds of places.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dfrostnh. Losts of helpful info - especially "permission" to skip Acadia and concentrate on the Camden area.
Are there any specific places to stay that anyone can recommend? We don't need fancy, but we do like a view...
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 02:49 PM

For six days you cannot do it all. I agree with the suggestion of the Camden/Rockland/Rockport area. The Farnsworth Museum is outstanding.Camden itself is lovely and the view from the top of Mt Battie is pretty spectacular, and although I've only been in the summer, it would be pretty special in foliage season. You can easily spend some time in Portland to visit the Portland Head Light and you can take a boat ride from the Old Port area. Portland is a foodie place, with many fine options for dining.

You will have to check which lobster shacks are still open during the week. An nice option for dinner in Rockland is Archer's on the Pier, right on the water. There is Claws which is sort of like a lobster shack. You place your order at the counter and are given a number and a waitstaff member will bring it to your table.

LL Bean is open 24 hours in Freeport which also has an LL Bean Outlet along with others and is a nice option.
If interested in Boothbay Harbor, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens are very special to visit, but check their website for hours and days operation.
Finally in Bath, the Maritime Museum is pretty interesting place to visit as well.
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 01:02 AM

Our budget doesn't usually include a biew. LOL and we've been doing air b&bs and VRBO to have more room and at least a kitchenette. Sometimes a cottage has not had internet. I think we were right onmthe water in a small cottage on the Rockport/Rockland line but can't remember the name. We usually visit in July so rentals harder to find.
we also liked Claws.