Food Recommendations in Madrid & Andalucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read several related threads on Spain and have used them to craft our trip to Spain coming up next month (Sep 2023). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant (or other attraction!) near the places we'll be. The plan is:

Fly into Madrid and spend 3 nights (Prado, probable side trip to Segovia)
Renfe down to Seville for 2 nights (Cathedral, Alcazar, Setas, Cinco Jotas Iberico Tasting, rental car)
drive to Ronda 2 nights (Dona Felisa wine tour)
drive to Antequera 1 night (Finca La Torre Olive Oil tour & Dolmens sites)
drive to Granada 2 nights (Alhambra, Nasrid & cathedral, probable hike in Monachil)
drive to Cordoba to get train back to Madrid (Mosque)
2 nights in Madrdid (Reina Sofia)

I've read about some nice restaurants down on the Costa de la Luz, so we could swing south. I would appreciate any fun or tasty ideas, thanks.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 12:02 PM

If you want a change of pace, then I can highly recommend seeking out Sephardic cuisine. You can find that at Casa Mazal in Cordoba in the Jewish Quarter. Fish wrapped in grape leaves, lamb with chestnuts and figs, hard to go wrong here.

Also I have two recs in Granada, both in the Arab Quarter:
El Meson Yunque, on the very humble Placeta San Miguel Bajo don't miss the light-as-a-feather berenjenas.
El Ladrillo Dos on Calle Panaderos, go for the boquerones.

In Granada a tapa comes with each drink you order.

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic, thanks - I'll make a note of those, sounds tasty!
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 02:58 PM

There are so many great restaurants in Madrid to recommend--you'll be spoiled for choice. It depends on what you fancy. It's one of Europe's best food cities these days.
For authentic Valencian paella, we enjoy the new-ish and stylish Berlanga, facing Retiro Park. Locals love it and not heavily touristed at all , like La Barraca, featured in all the guides.

For Seville, one of the best spots for Iberian ham is Casa Román in the Barrio de Santa Cruz.
I depend on my friend and tapas guide, Shawn Hennessey's (Azahar Seville) "5 oranges" recs for every district. I've tried them all except for the final one.
Here they are:
In San Lorenzo:
La Azotea & Eslava
In Triana:
La Atrayana, La Alfarería 21-Casa Montalván, La Lola
In Santa Cruz:
Vinería San Telmo and Casa Román
In El Arenal:
Bodeguita Romero and Casa Morales
In Alfalfa: Salmedina (near Casa de Pilatos)

Ronda:
We like Tragatá, the informal small plates and tapas bar of Michelin-starred Bardal.
Conrad does a very nice, if pricey, tour-tasting and Cortijo de los Aguilares produces a superb pinot noir

Antequera:
The Finca La Torre olive oil is great.
For dining, Arte de Cozina

Granada:
Best selection of wines and freshly made tapas, Taberna la Tana, but go early when it opens at 8:30. It gets packed with locals.
Other solid tapas places (tapas are complimentary with every drink order): Saint Germain, the bars of Cunini and Oliver on the Plaza de la Pescadería, the several branches of Los Diamantes for fried fish and other seafood (we prefer the one just beyond Taberna la Tana on Rosario, somewhat hidden away from the tourist circuit.
For dining with stunning Alhambra views: Aben Humeya in the Albaicín

Córdoba:
Outside of the "souk", El Bar de Paco Morales for updated, more creative fare; for creative and best salmorejo, inside the historic center, Garum 2.1
For traditional specialties, the tavern side of Bodegas Campos or upstairs at Casa Pepe de la Judería or outside of the souk, the wonderful, iconic Taberna San Miguel-Casa de Pisto
For dining facing the river on Ronda de Issa and the bridge, Regadera.

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 06:27 PM

I just realized that it appears you don't plan to overnight in Córdoba, correct? Could you possibly add an overnight, as there's a great deal to enjoy beyond the Mosque/Cathedral.

In Madrid, if you plan to stay in the Barrio de las Letras, aka Huertas, aka Cortes, which is handy to the Art Triangle (Prado, Reina Sofía), these restaurants I like and are easily walkable-

Amano (Andalusian fare) on the Plaza Matute
Triciclo (extremely popular contemporary bistro) and its informal tavern, Elisa, both on Santa María
Casa Mortero, behind the Thyssen on Zorrilla--great traditional but updated fare and croquettes
Vinoteca Moratín on Moratín for evening candlelight dining
Dis Tinto, a popular wine and small plates bar on Duque de Medinaceli, steps from the Hotel Palace
Ganz Wine Bar on Almadén
La Caníbal for Galician fare and natural wines, on Argumosa, handy after a visit to the Reina Sofía.

Old Aug 29th, 2023, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel, you've got a great selection there! I will take this with us!

In Madrid we're staying at the Alicia which is a good location for most of your selections and on the way back we're staying closer to Plaza Mayor.

As for Cordoba, we're just passing through as I simply didn't have enough time. We plan on driving in early in the day and likely doing the Madinat al-Zahra ruins and then returning the car and touring the Mosque. We'll have time for a nice lunch that's about it before the train leaves for Madrid.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Oh, has anyone been out to the Dali sculpture over by the Goya subway stop? Would love a food recommendation nearby!
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 10:55 AM

Nearby the Dali sculpture you will find several fast food eateries, but if you are keen on seafood I recommend El Barril de Goya, although it is not cheap. Also, Omeraki is an interesting fusion food restaurant run by a Spanish chef. Try the tasting menu. Links:
El Barril de Goya on Calle Goya 86 https://elbarrildegoya.com/
Omeraki on Calle Duque de Sesto 27 https://www.omerakirestaurante.com/c...do-multimedia/
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 11:15 AM

I also recommend El Barril de Goya, but as Revulgo notes, wild caught fish and crustaceans are expensive in Madrid.
I haven't been to Chicote's new Omeraki but it gets solid reviews from a food blogger that I follow.

You'll only be about 5-6 blocks north of one of my favorite Retiro district dining spots, Taberna Laredo, with a great wine list. Must reserve, as it's very popular.
https://tabernalaredo.com/?lang=en

The Roommate Alicia is in a very good location for the restaurants that I mentioned above.

As for closer to the Plaza Mayor, I can highly recommend the new bistro, Tresdè, on Cava Alta in La Latina. It has a 41 euro menu, 3 courses, with 3 choices in each course from which to choose. The chef trained at the Michelin starred Ze Kitchen Galerie on Paris Left Bank as well as at Gavroche. Just terrific, with an emphasis on vegetables in season, and all market driven. El País calls the young chef "
one to watch for a future Michelin star".
For cocktails before dinner there, I also recommend the new Barmitón, just a few doors down.
https://tresderestaurante.com
https://marmitonbistro.com/barmiton/

Old Aug 29th, 2023, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Great - Omeraki & Laredo sounds good!

Trede & Barmiton are right around the corner from my hotel. Thanks a million.
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:42 AM

Noting all of the great restaurant recommendations here (including the Sephardic restaurant-intriguing)-thanks to all.
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 06:32 AM

We're going back to Trèsde with our Madrid family next week. The 2 young people in charge: chef Aitor Sua and sommelier Lucas Fernández. The bread comes from the excellent Obrador San Francisco nearby, the butter with a touch of citrus and fine herbs, hazelnut crème brûlée for dessert, coffee is served with mignardises, a touch of Paris´Left Bank.
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Nice! We'll be flying into Madrid around Sep 20. Let me know how your meal goes!
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

We recently returned from our trip to Spain. We loved the trip and enjoyed the sights, food, drink and culture - now for a quick update on the better restaurants we tried!
Madrid: Lateral - Brioche Ribs, Gyoza Dumplings, etc., everything was perfect
Los Tulipanes - this Dutch-owned tiny restaurant does great tapas, great Rioja wine, and some really tasty Dutch classics
Barmiton - I had been dying for a proper Negroni, as no place knew the drink, but Barmiton nailed it!
Taberna La Conche - Terrific in-house Vermouth cocktails, amazing oxtail, chicken in spicy curry, etc.
Seville: Sol Gorda Halo - asian wings, andalusian cheese, gazpacho, bravas, etc., fantastic
Ronda: Las Tablas - great tapas, Argentinian steak with great chimichurri sauce, etc.
Pizzeria Davinchi - We were in the mood for Italian so tried this place which is just terrific, everything was quality and spot-on

We tried many other places that were good such as Bodegas Rosell, Taberna 4 Tapas, Bar Monte Velez, etc.

Our Iberican Cinco Jotas trip was amazing as was the Ronda winery and the jaw-dropping olive oil at Finca La Torre.

Thanks for all the input and enjoy!

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 02:18 AM

Thanks a bunch for the fantastic restaurant recommendations – my taste buds are already doing a happy dance! The Iberican Cinco Jotas trip and the Ronda winery must've been something else, right? And don't even get me started on that jaw-dropping olive oil at Finca La Torre – sounds like pure liquid gold!
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 04:02 AM

In Granada try Bar Leon, Bar Oliver and La Tana for tapas. There's also a tapas bar and fish restaurant next to Oliver but the name escapes me at the moment.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 04:08 AM

It's Cunini.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 03:14 PM

What was the Iberian 5JOTAS trip? I'd love to hear about that!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 01:01 AM

ekscrunchy,
TheModoc is probably referring to visiting the cellars of 5Jotas in Jabugo (Huelva), that is now open to the public. They offer a one hour tour.
https://www.cincojotas.es/en/visit-cinco-jotas-cellar
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 02:04 AM

Or maybe it was this one---
https://www.rutadeljamondejabugo.com/en/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -