Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

4 days in Tasmania (Salamanca Markets or not?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm planning on squeezing in a few days visiting Tassie in December while visiting a friend in Sydney. I will be arriving Tassie late morning on a Saturday and will need to fly out early morning on a Wednesday (essentially 4 days).

I can't decide whether to land in Launceston on the Saturday, making the drive to Cradle Mountain shorter, and getting a glimpse of Launceston; or to land in Hobart, and get to visit Salamanca Markets for a couple of hours before I drive to Cradle Mountain (needing an additional 2+ hours of driving on the road, which I don't really mind too much). Either way, I would go to Hobart on Monday morning after Cradle Mountain, stay there for 2 nights before leaving early morning on the Wednesday. I'm accustomed to driving; sunset won't be till 8.30pm during December.

So the key question is: Is it worth the extra 2hrs of driving and missing 3hrs in Launceston for Salamanca Markets? Can I see the same/similar arts and crafts at fixed brick and mortar stores when I return to Hobart on a weekday? Key interests would be wool products, paintings and small trinkets/arts and crafts. If it's just the vibe, I will be willing to forgo, and simply land in Launceston.

Option 1:
11.30am Land in Launceston
Launceston lunch and a few sites around city centre such as City Park, Design Tasmania, QVMAG (not interested in Cataract Gorge).
4pm Depart to Cradle Mountain
6pm Arrive Cradle Mountain to settle in

Option 2:
11.30am Land in Hobart
Hobart lunch and Salamanca Market
2.30pm/3pm Depart to Cradle Mountain
7pm Arrive Cradle Mountain to settle in

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Salamanca Markets are held once a week. Saturdays. https://www.salamancamarket.com.au/Home

Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 11:37 PM

although I love Salamnaca mrket there are many art/craft shops around the area -just not the vibe or the goods like fruit and vegetables .
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by northie
although I love Salamnaca mrket there are many art/craft shops around the area -just not the vibe or the goods like fruit and vegetables .
thanks! So it sounds like I could miss it this time for less time driving and more time exploring a bit of Launceston?

Any specific suggestions for the larger shop offerings for affordable art, woollen products (looking for a sheepskin rug or similar, not sure if I should just get one at the local Myers or wait till Tassie)? Cheers!
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 05:12 PM

I have no idea about lambskins as I wasnt looking for them.There are a number of lovely craft/art shops on Salamanca place though s

Old Aug 29th, 2023, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by northie
I have no idea about lambskins as I wasnt looking for them.There are a number of lovely craft/art shops on Salamanca place though s
No problem. Cheers! I've settled on doing the Launceston route, and spend an afternoon to walk around the shops when I'm in Hobart on a weekday.