South Carolina Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a lovely family vacation in South Carolina, staying on Kiawah Island for a week. We were fortunate to find a lovely home (vrbo) that could fit all ten of us. The guys enjoyed playing golf on three of courses there. We enjoyed the lovely, uncrowded beaches. We also spent some time sight-seeing in Charleston. And we thoroughly enjoyed a visit to Boone Hall Plantation. We chose this plantation because of the Gullah presentation, and it was excellent.

We also sampled an array of restaurants in this area. Our favorites were the Glass Onion, Angel Oak Restaurant and Swig & Swine. We also ate at Cherrywood BBQ, Tattoed Moose, Seanachai Whiskey & Cocktail Bar, Ryder Cup Bar, and Cru Cafe (in Charleston). We had a lovely evening at the Ryder Cup Bar, enjoying the beautiful scenery as we waited for our table.

My husband and I stopped by Pawleys Island on the way home. It has been a while since we’ve visited Pawleys, renting an oceanfront cottage with other family members. This time we were renting a condo at a golf course so that was a different experience. But we were always able to get a park on the island to walk the beach, swim, or view the sunset to the west. We also drove to Huntingdon State Beach Park one morning and joined a bird walk. As for restaurants, we really enjoyed eating at the Rustic Table and Bistro 217.

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 02:59 AM

When next at Pawley's don't miss Perrino's or the one that has been the stalwart FORever, Frank's and Frank's Outback. The best places north of charleston and can give Charleston a run for the money.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 04:18 AM

Great review and glad you had a nice time in my hometown. It was also really neat to see that you tried a lot of places in West Ashley and Johns Island as they often get missed by tourists. And I don't know how Swig and Swine does not get more press, it is by far the best BBQ in Charleston (outside of my own, of course).
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gretchen
When next at Pawley's don't miss Perrino's or the one that has been the stalwart FORever, Frank's and Frank's Outback. The best places north of charleston and can give Charleston a run for the money.
Hi, we had hoped to try Chive Blossom and Perrino's but we were there early in the week and both were closed. We have enjoyed eating at Frank's in the past but decided to try out some new places this time.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 06:17 AM

My uncle lived in Beaufort SC and used to teach the Gullah language prior to his death in 2014. When I saw him last in December 2012, he told me it was mostly the older generations still using it. Glad to hear there was a Gullah presentation!

Thanks for the SC trip report, I’d enjoy seeing more trip reports on the state! I went to Fripp Island & Beaufort regularly in my childhood and only returned to SC in my 40s (Charleston & Beaufort); Low Country food is amazing!

Last edited by Daniel_Williams; Jul 12th, 2021 at 06:25 AM.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams
My uncle lived in Beaufort SC and used to teach the Gullah language prior to his death in 2014. When I saw him last in December 2012, he told me it was mostly the older generations still using it. Glad to hear there was a Gullah presentation!
Great to hear that your uncle was teaching the Gullah language in Beaufort before his passing. We had three generations with us on the trip to Boone Hall Plantation, and we all felt that the Gullah presentation very moving. The actor/storyteller wove together songs, storytelling, history, and reading a portion of a Gullah translation of the New Testament. They have different people there on different days, and I felt fortunate to have heard Jackie Mickel's presentation.