Search

Big lap australia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big lap australia

Hello guys!

I'm an italian guy and i'm going to do this trip in 90 days, between the beginning of January until the end of the March/April.

I will start in brisbane, going towards melbourne, adelaide, perth, broome, darwin (i will be in the north around mid of march)...until uluru and another time to brisbane.

I can't decide if buy a 4wd or a van; i love camper life, but someone told me that in March also the sealed road of the north could be flooded. So I ask you if it is dangerous for me going to the north with a normal van also if i will not go off roads?

Also, i d like to see these national parks, can i see the most important things with a van or i'm going to miss a lot (considering that lots of road could be closed for the season, though)

1) kalbarri

2) karijini

3) cape levique

4) kakadu (roads for the waterfalls are already closed)

5) purnululu (i know here is necessary 4wd)

Just to know if i can stay safe with a van and enjoy anyway a lot of things. I don't have experience with 4wd (i ve just driven 3days on fraser island and everything has been fine)

THX FOR THE ANSWERS AND SORRY FOR THE LOOOONG MESSAGE cheers
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi there,
You’ll get the same answers here as on Trip Advisor, but this Forum is not as active as that one.

It could be a really good trip, just take note of the experienced advice given regarding the wet season & roads.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done a trip the whole way round Australia but 90 days seems short to me. You'll want plenty of time to stop and see things and get out of the car. I guess you've checked the distances? It's a very long way!

Also from about November to April is the wet season in the north of Australia. The southern states have the usual four seasons but the north is tropical and has a wet and a dry season. It could be flooded at some point, there will certainly be rain and humidity. The main highways are sometimes cut by floods. Not the best time of year to be in the north. You could be lucky but no one can predict the weather.

January is peak holiday season with all the schools having their main break then. Accommodation will most likely be pricey and hard to get, especially along the coast which is the most scenic route.

Kay
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Leveque -my favourite spot anywhere in the world - you would need an all wheel drive as the road is unsealed in the middle 90kms . It's a 3 hour drive from Broome . It's also the wet season and roads will be flooded there and around Kakadu .
Kalbarri is 19 hrs from Broome .
Sounds like most of your travel is in WA and that would be fabulous to do .
As you know you need a 4 wheel drive fior some parts why not just get one for the trip .
you can go to Kakadu without a 4 wheel drive even in the wet season - I've been there in March as you see a completely different side of life there . You can fly over the falls .
enjoy and have fun.
My son does a bike ride on the Gibb river road every year