Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Low Country Honor Flight to Washington DC

Search

Low Country Honor Flight to Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at your FB pictures, ronkala. What a wonderful experience. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 01:49 PM

Thank you Sir. We did many of those flights from Daytona Beach airport and they were an honor. I love the welcome home and my husband was happy the Chief selectees sang to you. It is a beautiful memorial.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 07:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
What a wonderful day. My lake friend went last year and said it was a fabulous experience. I wish my dad would go. Thanks for the great pictures, and thank you for your service.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Thank you for your service.

I had considered going to the WWII Memorial on that day to greet the Honor Flights but didn’t do so. I have been to DCA a few times to greet the Veterans exiting through the gate and always enjoyed that. I went to the “Super Saturday” greeting the following Saturday (September 20). There was supposed to be one around 11:00 a.m., another at 11:30, and a third one at 12:30. The flights must have been delayed or something because no busses arrived until after 12 and then two flights arrived at once. Unfortunately, the one had to park over at the side and were not greeted in the area you were. There also weren’t many people there like on your Saturday. I think if I heard a bunch of sailors singing Anchors Away, I’d have to walk away because that song chokes me up.

Anyway, in one of your blurry Facebook photos taken at the airport there is a Vietnam Veteran with long hair, sunglasses and a beard (one of the bikers). I know him from the Operation Welcome Home Maryland events at BWI airport. He is a very nice guy and who attends many events like this. He is really dedicated to our Veterans and enlisted military.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 01:21 PM

p.s. My profile photo is of an Honor Flight water salute.
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I just looked at your profile photo, very nice.
When I got up near the inductees while they were singing Anchors Aweigh, I moved in a little closer, stood at attention, and just let my emotions flow over me. And I felt proud.

When we returned to Norfolk in '53 and the tugs and fire boats were sending up streams of water, and Miss Virginia came aboard our destroyer, and the band on the C&E piers was playing, and a mob of friends and family were there to greet us, that was exciting. But it couldn't compare with the overwhelming and emotional experience we shared on the Honor Flight.
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 05:29 AM

Topping an old thread. Many thanks to Ron for this post. I tried hard to get my Dad to go on an Honor Flight and he finally planned to, but unfortunately died the month before the trip.

Ron was a FB friend and today's memories brought up a post by him. Just thinking of him and thankful we "met" via the Fodors community.

I encourage all who have veterans in their family to consider the Honor Flight experience.
https://www.honorflight.org/
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 09:01 PM

So happy you had a memorable Honor Flight. My dad (a WWII and Korean War vet) took his two years before he passed at age 93. He said it was the most memorable trip of his lifetime. He is now buried at Arlington National Cemetery. His burial was the most meaning service I have ever attended.

Thank you so much for your service.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 07:51 PM

Ron is gone.
I found his obit tonight -
https://obituaries.neptunesociety.co...eeler-11530284
His family moved him from FL to GA last year.
I admired him so much. RIP to a dear Fodorite, and thank you for your service.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 07:41 PM

Thanks for this, starrs. Rest in Peace, Ron.